Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair this cracking deck?

crackeddeck
Just Starting Out

How to repair this cracking deck?

Hi there, 

As the images below show, I have an outdoor deck that has been neglected and consequently become quite weather in a particular area that is unprotected from weather. 

I am looking to repair and restore the deck. I do not require an especially long-term solution, I would simply like to extend the life of the deck by a few years. It is possible that the deck will be removed in the future, but that is not currently being considered. 

Others have suggested to me that I completely rip the deck up and start new, or flip the boards, but neither are possible for me due to constraints on my time, resources, and frankly, ability. 

I have read online that wood hardener, filler or epoxy may be used for repair, followed by a coat of paint. 

Can anyone give any direction or advice here? I have found quite a few different products but am unsure which is most ideal. 

E.g., 

Earl's Wood hardener - https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-250ml-wood-hardener_p1585306

Timbermate Agnew's Water Putty Powder - https://www.bunnings.com.au/timbermate-1kg-agnew-s-water-putty_p1560643

Selleys Plastibond 800g Duty Bog - https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-plastibond-800g-heavy-duty-bog_p1210328

I'm not sure which, if any, of these products would be most ideal. Any direction would be much appreciated!

deck1.jpgdeck2.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to repair this cracking deck?

Hi @crackeddeck 

Non of those fillers are  really meant for out door deck application and will probably not work  well but I understand your train of though there.

I notice your screw  heads are nicly screwed in below the level of the timber top,

I would  hire a  timber floor sander and try take of a 1mm or so of surface timber it will not be a perfect job  it will still have flaws as those boards are really weathered  but you will  get a new timber look with fingers of old grey wood it might look  great,

After that seal it ,     You  can   even seal it now if you  dont  mind the grey look.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair this cracking deck?

Hello @crackeddeck 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about how to repair your cracking deck.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Looking at the photo you posted it seems that the decking panels have been left unprotected for some time and that's why there are very large cracks on the surface. 

I agree with Jewelleryrescue in using a floor sander to remove the dead timber on the surface. But I also suggest using Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner after sanding the entire surface. This cleaner has oxalic acid which will revive the timber fibres of the decking panel. 

In regards to the fillers that you've mentioned, I'm afraid they are not ideal for filling decking panels if you are oiling or staining.

I suggest having a look at these amazing deck revamps shared by our Workshop members:

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you revive a deck?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects