Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal doors with clear gloss?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How to seal doors with clear gloss?

Hello, 

im looking for recommendations on sealing my doors at home. I had them painted some time ago and they had a gloss finish, but the painter left them with a Matt finish this time. 

id now like to see if I can use Boyle Clear Gloss Finishing Sealer and just use it straight over the doors? I want to use it as a sealer mainly.

thank you 

image.jpg

thank you. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to seal doors with clear gloss?

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Thanks for posting. I take it you're not happy with the matt finish and preferred the previous gloss?

There's certainly no need to seal the doors now they have been painted. Can you please clarify why you are unhappy with them currently?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Hi @Jason thanks for your reply. 

when they close now, they don’t close as easily so I figure if I seal them it will help. Because they were never this way before. 

Hope that makes sense, 

OK, thanks for the extra information @Newgreenthumb. So they are sticking a little now? That could be because they have more paint on them now than they used to have. Adding another layer could make that problem worse. 

My apologies, but our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are not on the site today. Let me tag a few other members for their thoughts: 

@JacobZ95@Jewelleryrescue and @Nailbag.

Jason

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Like Jason has said, adding more material isn’t going to fix the doors sticking. Are they sticking because the paint is sticking?or is it because the door is hitting the door jamb?

Jacob

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Newgreenthumb The "Boyle Clear Gloss Finishing Sealer" is not for providing a sealed glossy finish on doors. It's used to protect craft projects with a gloss finish. In other words it's not a durable coating for your application nor will it give it the same gloss finish as an actual gloss paint.

Re: your sticking problem, each time a door is painted, your adding almost another mm of thickness to it, which effect how well the door will make contact with the door stops (thin internal door frame) and door latch sticker plate. You might be able to adjust how the door is currently latching by bending inwards the latch plate tab as per the photo.

If you want to restore the door back to a gloss finish, then it will most likely need to be sanding back first to allow for the thickness of of new coats of gloss. You won't need to sand all of the door, just the outer 50mm on the inside panel.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 9.13.40 pm.png

thank you for the reply @JacobZ95 i appreciate if. 
the doors feel stiff and it’s difficult to close the doors as easily as before. I have notice on the bottom and tip they haven’t been painted and are exposed. Hope that makes sense. It’s like they expanded. 

Hey @Newgreenthumb,

Could you take a photo of the door when it’s closed to show the gap around the door.

If the door is correctly installed you should have an even 2-3mm line around the outside of the door, If there is a larger gap on one side it could give us a bit more information on where the problem lies. 

It’s likely the solution will be one of two things, adjust the hinges, or remove some material from the door, whether through sanding or planing the door. 

If you take some photos of the gaps around the door like below, I should be able to help out. 

IMG_4701.jpeg

Jacob

@Newgreenthumb,

Were the doors removed for painting? 

Jason

Hi @Newgreenthumb 

Like  ever ones saying to get the door to close properly you  need to  heavily sand the door edges to create more space for a thickness of new gloss paint.

1 sand door  edges back until the door closes smoothly if it is stickinging the door frame.

2  If possible if yo have the skill level and confidence take your door off. Take of door handle and hinges for a neater  paint result.

3  Re paint the door in gloss acrilic paint gloss as you wish is easiest.This will let you paint under the door too.

Enjoy  your project  hope this and other advise  helps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects