Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix threshold on metal exterior door?

doug2
Getting Established

How to fix threshold on metal exterior door?

I've moved into a house recently and have an issue of water coming in through the front door during heavy rain. It's a metal door frame with a glass panelled door that opens inward and a screen door on the outside. It seems that the issue is that the door threshold was installed the wrong way around, so instead of sloping towards the outside, it slopes towards the inside. This means that rain goes through the screen door, hits the glass door, pools on the sloping threshold and flows inside. What's the best way to go about a permanent fix to this issue?

Thanks!

frontdoorthreshold.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix threshold on metal exterior door?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @doug2. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find the site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question. Let me tag our ever-helpful members in @JacobZ95@Noyade and @Tyro to see if they have any thoughts on how you can fix the issue with your door threshold.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @doug2,

I suspect you may be correct that the threshold was installed incorrectly. If you have a look around the frame of the door, is there any indication of the manufacturer anywhere?

If you could find this I may be able to look into it further for you. 

Cheers,

Jacob

doug2
Getting Established

Hi @JacobZ95 ,

Thanks for your response! It might be "Vantage"?

I just googled it and it does look like these.

https://www.awsaustralia.com.au/vantage/hinged-entry-door

We also seem to have the french door version of this installed in another room (with the threshold sloping the correct way!).

Thanks,

Doug

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @doug2,

Unfortunately, having had a look at the drawings for your door, I think the only permanent solution is to remove the whole frame and turn it around as it looks like the threshold isn’t rotatable.

You could maybe add an awning, but I imagine when you have driving rain it would still get in under the door.

I’d get in touch with the manufacturers customer service line and see if they have any advice. 

Jacob

doug2
Getting Established

Thanks @JacobZ95 - much appreciated!

I have chatted to the supplier and they have agreed with you. Doesn't sound like there is any simple / quick fix to this - the only solution is to take the whole frame out and turn it around as you suggested.

Thanks again for your time!

Doug

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ah, sorry we couldn't come up with an easier solution for you @doug2. I hope you can find a reputable tradesperson to assist with the work.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects