Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to retro-fit insulation to a cathedral ceiling?

Fieldworker
Finding My Feet

How to retro-fit insulation to a cathedral ceiling?

I bought a 1980's brick veneer house, which has a beautiful high celling in the living kitchen area. But it's FREEZING in winter! So I want to get to work and try and properly insulate the small cavity in this type of ceiling.

The roof is tin, so its possible to insulate from that side (albeit a bit precarious getting on the roof). I'm doing a lot of research on the best way to do it without spending a bomb. 

IMG_6737.jpg

The lounge area also has large, old windows so I know thats part of the problem ...but this is a much more expensive fix (they have curtains, but the windows are old and I know they let in a lot of the cold) so I'm leaving that for later on.

Any tips on ways to tackle this problem of the ceiling insulation welcome!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to retro-fit insulation to a cathedral ceiling?

Hello @Fieldworker

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about insulating your gabled ceiling.

Let's have a quick look at your options, if the gap between your tin roof and the timber installed in your ceiling is sufficient then insulation may be installed by removing the tin roof one by one so that you can insert the insulation sheets between them. Looking at the photo it seems that the timber ceiling lining is installed from the outside of the ceiling frame. Hence, installation from the inside is out of the question.  

The good news is the timber used on your ceiling frame is quite large. In order for insulation to be held in place in your ceiling, it's necessary to build a timber batten frame to hold them in place. If the insulation has nothing to hold on to it will sag and fall. However, the issue now is that once the frame and insulation are installed you'll have to cover the entire assembly with Gyprock.

Another method to do your installation is to build a flat frame for the entire ceiling area. It would simplify the project, but it would still need to be covered, but in the process, you will lose the view of your cathedral ceiling. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to install plasterboard or ply to Strammit? by @hamish71. Although they are installing Gyprock, the solution to the installation of your insulation is the same. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TheRenoDad for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Fieldworker,

I'm picking that the view we see from below is the timber "sarking" below the roof material on top?

This is what is known as a "skillion" roof, with its exposed rafters.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do with respect to roof insulation, aside from fully lining the underside of that roof.

I could be wrong and hopefully I am, but I would hate to see some nice timber like that covered up, in the name of adding extra insulation.

Tell me, do you have underfloor insulation and insulation in the walls?

I would look at this and the windows first before you look at the ceiling.

Sarking is normally a pretty good retainer of heat, with it being 15-19mm thick hardwood, with very few gaps.

The other thing is, the roofing iron above, keeps the sarking warm, all year round.

I think you need to look at the rest of the insulation, especially the windows and the walls.

It would be a shame to cover up a nice ceiling like that.

If you need further advice, please let us know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Thanks MikeTNZ - as I suspected probably my only option is to try and insulate from the roof. 

And I don't yet have underfloor insulation ... I've been saving up for this, as the rest of the house doesn't have it either. 

And its hard to know about wall insulation, I suspect there's not much there given how miserable and cold it was in my house over winter. The windows are a massive problem, replacing them is probably a few years off due to the high cost as I want to get at least double glazed. 

Is there any way to check the wall insulation without busting a hole into the interior wall? If I get the windows done I suspect I can get some wall insulation done then?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fieldworker

I'm afraid the only way to check for insulation inside your wall is to cut into one and look inside.  If your house is built on stumps and there is adequate crawl space underneath then it would be possible to install underfloor insulation. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects