Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore caravan louvre windows?

mariajissi
Finding My Feet

How to restore caravan louvre windows?

Hello! My partner and I recently bought a 1976 Millard Caravan and are currently in the process of renovating it. The windows are old Louvres and they require significant attention. We're keen on restoring them and have identified that the mechanism involves a gear-driven torsion rod with some worn-out components that need replacement. Given the age of the model, sourcing the original parts seems nearly impossible. Is it possible to substitute the old mechanism with a more modern one, and if yes, do you have any recommendations for a "louvre repair kit"?

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 10.07.40 AM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 10.07.41 AM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 10.07.41 AM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 10.07.42 AM (1).jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore caravan louvre windows?

Hello @mariajissi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your caravan restoration.

The aluminium parts appear to be structurally sound and appears to have aged on the surface. Depending on the restoration technique you'll be using, I believe the window parts can be cleaned up and recovered. 

In regards to the windup mechanism, if it still works perhaps a teardown and rebuild will refresh its function. In these modern times any part can be replicated using 3D printing including steel. 

My only thoughts on a possible replacement would be to use a Whitco White Lockable Window Winder.

Let me call on our experienced members @Peggers , @twocutekelpies and @LizzieCro for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us now.     

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hi @mariajissi 

Oh Millard windows are so much fun! 🙄 Time and patience will be required.  For the most part, it's mainly the rivets that give out on these windows. I restored the same on my '77 Millard by completely stripping down each window, cleaning up, painting and reassembling with new rivets.

Original windowOriginal window  Disassembled, cleaned and paintedDisassembled, cleaned and painted  Replaced rivets and fibre washers for moving parts.Replaced rivets and fibre washers for moving parts.  Winder cleaned up and re-greasedWinder cleaned up and re-greased  Use small nuts on rivet mandrel for better access to deep sectionsUse small nuts on rivet mandrel for better access to deep sections   4cdc6f01-15bc-4f7c-86a3-057ad667c746.jpg  Reassembled and resealed.Reassembled and resealed.    

I used a liberal bit of silicone on each corner to seal the frame before re-fitting then used soft, closed cell foam tape to fit onto the van before sealing around the edge with sealant. I also added weather seal around each pane after removing the old stuff. Don't go too thick or the windows won't close properly. 

I had a few of these broken so made splints with 10x3mm aluminium flatbar. Bend first then cut to length as the first couple broke first time.I had a few of these broken so made splints with 10x3mm aluminium flatbar. Bend first then cut to length as the first couple broke first time.

I was lucky enough to be given a winder from a donor window as one of mine had a broken cog in the winder, keep an eye on marketplace if you need, donor windows do come up for sale now and then.  

Good luck and as I said, time and patience. 

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies
LizzieCro
Making a Splash

Hi @mariajissi ,

I really have no experience to offer at this stage, but am just about to embark on some window repairs myself. I would say, listen to Shelley @twocutekelpies because she's a bit of a guru when it comes to BIG renovations on caravans. If you're on Instagram you can find her very detailed renovations under the same name. Also Caravaners Forum is a great website where you'll learn so much, very much like this Bunnings page, but solely about caravans. Good luck!

@twocutekelpies this is AMAZING! Thank you so much, this is probably the best thing I've seen in regards millard louvres. The steps are super clear, but now my issue is how to replace the missing parts. Some of the windows are missing those...brackets, d-profiles? don't know how to call them but I'm taking about the pieces you have in the last picture (not the ones that you made, the other ones). I've been trying to find spares in market place, but had no luck so far. By any chance do you any places that could do 3D printing in steel?

Thank you again for this, you have no idea how long I've been looking for a proper step-by-step to fix these windows!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mariajissi 

Let me tag @twocutekelpies to make them aware of your questions. 

There is always the possibility of tracing the shape onto an existing flat sheet of aluminium and making your own part. There is also the option of asking aluminium fabricators in your area if they are willing to replicate parts for you. In regards to 3D printing it's definitely worth asking around if there are steel printing shops around your area.

I suggest being vigilant regarding the parts, keep searching the markets. I also suggest looking at local caravan groups. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I wonder if you could cut something out similar to my broken piece so that it's reasonably flat and then reinforce the edge with the 10x3mm flatbar like I have. At least you have a few to trace from. Perhaps someone from your local men's shed would be able to fabricate something. Apologies for not replying, I thought you'd found a source with Reece in the Millard & York FB group. 

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects