Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore an old Oak table?

katemckenzie95
Growing in Experience

How to restore an old Oak table?

We are restoring an old American oak table.  It has been sanded back to bare wood. I would like to keep it a light colour - not the darker stain which it was before.  What product is best to use? How about Cabots walnut stain with a satin finish? How about no stain and only Wattyl Estapol Speed Clear?  The leaf in the middle is a different grain - maybe a different cut of the oak.

oak table_sanded 06022024.jpg 

Re: Restoring an old Oak Table

Hi @katemckenzie95,

It's perfectly normal for the product to appear slightly milky and remain so on the project until it has cured. However, during wet weather events or high humidity, this milkiness is much more noticeable. If it's rainy in your area, it's important not to overcoat again until the coating has become translucent, as you'll trap this moisture in there. I wouldn't expect the product to turn translucent and fully cured for at least a few days under high humidity conditions. 

If you are experiencing some wet weather, I'd hold off on the project until it dries out a bit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

There is a varnish to the side of the white bit - that's another varnish product we had - Monocel clear wood varnish - satin. 

All on the underside.

Regards Kate

Thanks Mitchell,

We'll hang off until it's a bit drier - very humid and damp here.

Regards Kate

Hi Bunnings Helping People,

The table is finished despite the humid weather. I'm pleased with the look of the table surface.

The table pedestal and chairs are the darker colour - I'm OK with that. We have decided it would be a professional job to sand them back to the original oak colour.  

Thank you for your advice.

Regards Kate

oak table_Matilda 20022024 (4).jpg

Looks great @katemckenzie95. Well done!

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden.

We look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects