Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a table with a veneer top?

jj24
Finding My Feet

How to restore a table with a veneer top?

Hi, noob here. I want to try and restore my kitchen table which as far as I can tell has a veneer table top and solid wood legs and skirt. I am currently thinking of trying a very careful sand with an orbital sander (you can see here the prior damage to the top which shows the particle board underneath what I presume is veneer?), followed by a strain and topcoat. I'm a bit unclear on what to do with the legs. Main thing is I have zero interest in painting any part of it - I want it to look natural. Keen for any feedback! 

20240109_082653.jpg

20240109_082658.jpg

20240109_083022.jpg

20240109_083022.jpg

  

Scarab
Getting Established

Re: Noob - restoring a table with a veneer top?

@jj24 would you consider adhering another veneer on the table top?

jj24
Finding My Feet

Probably outside of my current skill set....

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore a table with a veneer top?

Hi @jj24 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about restoring your table with veneer top.

Would it possible for you to post a photo of the entire table? This will give our members a chance to assess the tables condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Based on the photos you posted it appears that the veneer is still in good condition. If you were to use an electric sander, I suggest using 240grit sandpaper so that it will not dig in too deep into the veneer. I don't recommend using a number lower than that as it might strip the veneer right off.

Once you've removed the old sealer, I suggest using Timbermate Wood filler to fill in the damage. Make sure to use it sparingly. Your objective is to hide and blend in the damage and not to create a huge repair patch that can be seen from a distance.

Once the wood filler has cured, sand the surface to reduce the amount of filler even more. If you wish to preserve the timber look, I suggest using Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. This sealer is specifically designed for use on benchtops and tables. It's tough wearing and is heat resistant. 

If you are after a rustic light bright finish, I suggest looking at Feast Watson 250ml Liming White Satin Stain & Varnish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your table)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Scarab 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Thanks for sharing that excellent suggestion. Often older table units that use veneer tops are perfect candidates for a new veneer lining. Have you done one before? if you have, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the furniture you revamped? 

We're keen to hear more about all your projects and plans around the house & garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Eric

jj24
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric, I've had a go as you suggested. 

20240109_113044.jpg

20240109_113051.jpg

 I decided to stain the table and today I'm adding water based topcoat. For two of the three sections I used wood filler I've been able to disguise it quite well, so I'm happy. Very old table and I was tired of seeing it look so ratty! 

20240110_143325.jpg

20240110_143332.jpg

20240110_162842.jpg

20240110_162856.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jj24 

Thank you for posting those photo updates. The table looks very good and I'm glad that you got to use an electric sander. If you are planning on refurbishing other pieces of furniture, you'll be surprised at how hand y it can be. 

The stain looks great and the repairs you've made have blended in very well. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the table assembled and ready for use.

Eric

jj24
Finding My Feet

All done! I have been getting little unfortunate bubbles in the topcoat,  sadly, which I think may be due to the sanded down veneer not absorbing things very well (even though I left everything the right amount of time). It still looks a heap better than before, so I'm happy. 20240112_100736.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jj24 

Thank very much for sharing those extra photos of your revamped table. They look fantastic! Two things cause bubbles when sealing timber tops. If the first coat has not fully cured and the second coat is applied too early trapped gasses from the first coat will come up as bubbles.

Second, your drying spot was in a windy area. The same effect occurs when a freshly coated table is placed in a windy area. The surface of the sealer dries off and the gasses from below get trapped and come up as bubbles. 

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects