Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace metal transition strips with timber?

HJS
Finding My Feet

How to replace metal transition strips with timber?

We have metal transition strips between tile and floating wooden floors. I hate them - to make matters worse, the builder (years ago) used different styles so they are not consistent. Would love to replace them with wood transition strip or wood effect strip. Any tips on what to use? I pulled one up and the wooden floor board level is about 6 mm higher that tile level. The metal strips are T-transition strip I think which were fixed into the concrete slab with a couple of  whacking big screws.

PS I think the gap between the tile and wood is also too wide for one of those trough shaped transition strips but open to suggestions for a more modern look (other than replace all the floors, which is not an option unless we win lotto)20240423_123303.jpg20240423_123320.jpg20240423_123348.jpg20240423_123642.jpg

20240423_123303.jpg20240423_123320.jpg20240423_123348.jpg20240423_123642.jpg.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace metal transition strips with timber?

Hello @HJS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about transition strips.

It appears that some of the gaps you have are quite large. I'm sorry but our transition strips have a limited size and might not be able to cover such a large distance.

However, if you have a router or can borrow a router, it would be possible to make a custom transition strip from timber. This would allow you to stain and seal the timber and have a uniform finish through the entire house. 

I propose looking at 116 x 11mm 5.4m Moulding Pine FJ DAR Clear. Using the router, you'll be able to cut channels and round corners to create the perfect transition piece. 

Let me call on our experienced member @JoeAzza for their recommendation.

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HJS
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric and @JoeAzza,

There are transition strips at the doorway at the moment - I pulled it up for the photo. The current strip is 4 cm wide, it that helps. It looks like a t-shape strip, with the addition of a screw into the concrete.

Mainly changing for aesthetics :smile:

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe or any experience shaping wood.

Kind regards,

Heather

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @HJS If the original strip is 25mm wide you could change it for something like this, otherwise I agree with @EricL to fabricate your own dividing strip.

There are many other styles online that may give you some ideas of design you require.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bunnings+timber+floor+transition+strip&qpvt=bunnings+timber+flo...

JoeAzza_0-1713864873954.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @HJS 

There are a number of transition strips available at the store, I suggest bringing some of the strips you have and compare it to the ones available at the store. Your goal is to find compatible strips in the same size and style as the ones you have. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HJS
Finding My Feet

Thanks Joe and Eric,

I'll take the strip fully off and bring it in as you suggest. Thank you for your help.

Warning, another qn coming (different topic) later today.

Kind regards,

Heather

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects