Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a broken tile?

rajsyd
Finding My Feet

How to replace a broken tile?

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4420.jpeg

Hi there, our plumber had to break open a tile to fix a pipe joint which was hard to reach from underneath the floor and to seal it off, now it leaves 2-3 inch gap between the edge of the tile and the other side frame. There’s no support under the floor for that gap to apply some tile cement or some other material.

Can you pls suggest what would be a better approach to seal off this area so no gap exists in that area?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a broken tile?

Hello @rajsyd 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing a broken tile. 

Looking at the photo you posted, it seems that the gap was just covered with a cement sheet and tiled over which is very dangerous should someone decide to step into that particular area. The proper way to repair it would be to fill the gap with concrete and then levelled before tiling over it.

I also suggest replacing the rubber coupling that has been placed in your plumbing to PVC. Concreting the rubber coupling will cause it to deteriorate and sink. I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder to investigate why this gap was left in your flooring and if it is possible to concrete the area properly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL thanks a lot for your suggestions, makes sense, as the rubber coupling was just installed, we are thinking of supporting that area with sand base and rest of the area with sand+cement mix in the interim.

Raj

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Concreting directly over PVC pipe will allow for zero room for pipe flex & any damage will be that much harder to access and resolve, as far as I am aware best practice dictates a layer of sand/gravel surrounds the plastic pipe to be concreted over such as under a pathway, from your picture however it appears the pipe is almost level with the nearby concrete and may not have sufficient space. 

I am unable from the pictures supplied to determine whether there is any wooden sub structure adjacent to the opening, if so a supportive frame could be installed as an alternative solution, that said I would agree with EricL that this is highly irregular and in need of the services of a licensed Builder. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects