Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair render on a Californian Bungalow?

Amandaworks
Just Starting Out

How to repair render on a Californian Bungalow?

IMG_9751.jpeg

We had our Californian Bungalow porch underpinned, as it was leaning forward. As expected, the original painted render cracked and we have some brick and render repairs. I’ve stripped all the paint and allowing it time to dry out, as there was some damp due to the lean and drainage. In some areas the render has come away, in others it’s pitted. What do you suggest to patch repair given the age of the original render?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair render on a Californian Bungalow?

Hello @Amandaworks 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing render.

It's great that you've already stripped the paint off the render, this will make repairing the damage much easier. I propose using Bondall 1L BondCrete Cement Additive in combination with Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix. Before you begin your repair, I suggest giving the render a good wash with a Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush and some detergent. Make sure that the wall is totally free of detergent before you start to render.

I also recommend having a look at this discussion - How to repair the render? by @Jolly181.

However, if you are thinking about doing a full render of the walls, I suggest having a look at this step-by-step guide - How to render.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask while working on your render. Make sure to follow the mixing instructions printed at the back of the packaging.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. My husband suggested we sand the render before repairing but I'm worried that it will remove more of it, as I've tried a wire brush on parts and the render just comes off. But the wire brush is pretty harsh - would light sanding after I've finished paint stripping be a good idea? Just to make it smooth before repairing?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Amandaworks 

Thanks for the additional information. If the surface render is beginning to deteriorate, it might be necessary to put new render on the entire structure. You can imagine what might happen if you rendered a surface that is already compromised and could fall off any minute. It would be a shame to waste all that new render if it fell off in a couple of months.

However, if it is only surface damage and the bottom of the render is still rock solid, you just need to remove the soft parts. Just keep in mind that any part that is crumbling off must be removed. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects