Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair concrete wall for painting?

prvz27
Building a Reputation

How to repair concrete wall for painting?

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I've posted here, great to be back and browsing through everyone's fantastic projects!

I've been busy setting up my upcoming Indian Takeaway Shop and I would like to get some advice please to sort out a couple issues.

This space used to be a computer shop and has concrete walls. Along these walls was wooden skirting and above this skirting a long rectangular cable cover covering a bunch of ethernet cables. Our builder had removed all this, but is now wanting to charge us thousands to fix the broken concrete and paint over it. 

I've always received fantastic advice from the awesome members here and the first thing I thought of was to seek advice from the community again. 

Rather than paying thousands to the builder, what options do we have to fix these defects? Mix concrete and apply it on ourselves and then paint over it? Or something else?

Really looking forward to all your responses. 

Moderators, this is technically not residential, please let me know if I am going against the rules here.

Thank you all!

We have AfterAfterAfterAfterAfterAfterBefore with cable cover and wood skirtingBefore with cable cover and wood skirting

Re: Repairing concrete wall for painting

Hi prvz27

I like @EricL  sliding door it looks neat tidy and functional.  If you  place a mural on this wall with the sliding window  panel the mural can be cut and stuck on the sliding door and will complete the mural when closed.

Well to follow up on murals   www.muralunique.com/product/custom-murals   DIY custom murals might suit you as you can also use your own photos.  No doubt you may wish to  vary your menu in the future so I probably wouldnt do a mural of your food offerings as you will have to consider  replacing the mural  each food change  Maybe changable food photos and  prices hung over your plain wall.  a Busy wall would detract from you food offerings displayed? Some how make your visual food offerings  changable?.  As you establish your business you will have more and more of your own great new ideas so it is usefull to develope a flexable system at the beginning. eg if prices are also on the food offerings you may need to vary food photos that as a minimum.  

One possibilly if it was my shop with strictly takeaway would be big wall floor ceil mural, Put some seats  along here in case of customers waiting.  along the opposite wall people que along put you food offerings in classy picture frames and hang them like an art gallery on a  plain coloured wall (or  mirrored?? to reflect mural  and  give illusion of bigger shop if  you wish this effect)  so people  can select from your choices as they walk in. (picture frames allow you to add specials and up date menu easily) Ummm rear wall with window and door put  a price board? so   customers  can read it and see prices and extra menu items like desert items / sides to  tempt them at order placing time when they hungry when face to face with order taker.  See bunnings gallery supplies (as used  by real  gallerys)

Gallery@Home 2m White Track Picture Hanging Pack source Bunnings web siteinsert you food photos on this systeminsert you food photos on this system

I use this  system at home its a breeze to do and it can support a column of  pictures from roof to floor as needed all suspended by one picture rail. So Imagine all your foody photo choices on these  classy hanging wires add specials  change photos and rearrange is  easy.

Well I dont want to cloud you thoughts too much hope you have a few  readly avaliable solutions you can  choose at bunnings now. :smile:  good luck with your opening soon love to see you final design photos 

prvz27
Building a Reputation

Thank you for the sketches there Eric! Very helpful!

There will be shelves installed on both sides of the window as, sorry I should have mentioned this earlier. The sliding door will bump into these shelves, as well as the shutters. 

Could we possible slide the door upwards? Like a shutter possibly? 

Cheers!

Sketch.png

Hi @prvz27

Some of the other things that come to mind are roller blinds, vertical blinds and horizontal blinds. I recommend looking into RIVA blinds, they can custom make it just for that opening. As something that you'll be using quite often, it will be easier to slide open and close rather than lift it open. I suggest going to your local store and speaking to a helpful team member at the special orders desk to get a quote. Please make sure to bring your measurements before you go to the store. I love @Jewelleryrescue's suggestion, it's too bad that the shelves will be in the way. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to measure your windows for inside-mounting blinds

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

,  I dont think there is enough room to slide it upwards unless you  think about a hindged flap that lifts  up via a cord or some thing but  it will look  like a tropical hut  window.

@EricL  curtain  ideas  work too  and are much simpler than my next  idea I rate at a medium hard DIY depending on you  carpentary experiances and tools

Alternte plan A  Shelfing  and a sliding door

Create a  simple false wall on top of  brick wall using timber and plywood  15 to 19mm thick depending on weight  you want to place on shelves. The false wall has the  same  through wall cut out  but is hollow underneath to allow @EricL  sliding door design suggestion to slip behind false wall with shelves all over it. I would make the whole  wall false possibly for a uniform wall. But you can  just make a  false wall on the sliding door side.  Bunnings guys might have videos re some timber framing thing like this or i know they experianced to guide you  if you choose this line of thought.

If you mount lengths of timber along wall (thick enough  to mount sliding door underneath )suitably spaced ie top bottom above the opening and below window opening for starters for shelf support..  Where the sliding door  runs under the wall no supports in there.

My crude attached drawings i hope shows general  construction ideas Part  or  full  false walls please  note I didnt add all hidden timber design like more  shelves details to try  simplify drawing.Part or Full false wall  to allow slide door to operate underneathPart or Full false wall to allow slide door to operate underneathOnce  you have a  flat False wall over the top of you sliding window  Bunnnings provides cabinates flat packs and shelving of many types to  place around the  window now sliding door operation underneath paneling  is out of the way if you dont want to  custom build shelves.

One of my  favorites is sets of 

Flexi Storage Decorative Shelving White Matte Wall Cubes Set Of 3boxe.jpeg

I/N: 0332627

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jewelleryrescue

Let me tag @prvz27 to make sure they see your suggestions. Using a sliding cavity door is a fantastic idea, this will still allow them to have a sliding door and not hit the shelves. The best part is that you can still put that painting in front of the sliding door.

Thank you for sharing that wonderful idea.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects