Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove thick paint deposits after painting?

Mark270481
Growing in Experience

How to remove thick paint deposits after painting?

Novice painter here,used Tauberman ultimate enamel paint to repaint my architraves and door frames however I found that there were these thick deposits of paint on the edge once the paint dried …this is also not on all the edges just some of them ..how do I get this off ? 
Tried sanding but it seemed to make it worse ..any advice /suggestions would be highly appreciated 

IMG_2646.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove thick paint deposits after painting?

Hi @Mark270481,

It's best to leave the paint for a week to cure and dry entirely before sanding. Although the top would have skinned over, the paint inside is likely quite soft, causing the paint to smear rather than sand. 

Use 180-grit paper and lightly knock the height off these runs. Then, you'll need to apply a very light coat of paint over the area to seal it. Be careful not to apply so much paint to your brush that it starts building up on the corner. 

Here's a helpful guide you might like to read through: How to paint like a professional.

Please let us know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for that helpful tip ..I’ll wait a week and try it out and then update the group on how I went 

You are spot on when you say that the piant under is soft and will likely smudge when sanding …that one burnt me ..ha ha !

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Mark270481 

I'm presently painting and doing a very poor job of it - as usual. But I've been experimenting with a curved scalpel on similar paint droplets. The trick is not to let the paint dry and harden - so that while it's still relatively soft, you can slowly debride layers until you believe you've reached the wall surface level. The scalpel must be sharp - and curved is better than straight.

Then re-paint.

20240326_135538.jpg

20240326_135627.jpg

One step back after re-painting...

20240326_135729.jpg

Cheers.

😁

Problem is that this one did not show up till the paint dried …I kept looking it over when painting and these were not there …when I tried taking it off the next day it was like Mitchell said ,still soft underneath and did not flake off like the one in your pic

I will though keep your suggestion in mind when I paint the walls 

Ok..so go time to do this ..and here is how I got it done..I could have sanded it but it took long as the paint was sticky and came off like glue comes off when you rub it …here is what I did 

first I sanded it down light to look like this (80 grit)

IMG_2828.jpeg

Then I sanded it down again (120 grit) to get this finish ..painting time 😃

IMG_2829.jpeg

question : what other ways can I use to strip stain off the architraves/skirting boards ..here is what they look like ..I don’t mind sanding but I have kids at home and worry about the fine dust flying around ..is there any better way ?

image.jpg

So, you don't need to sand the varnish entirely off @Mark270481. You just need to scuff it up so it's not glossy anymore and then prime it with something like Dulux One Step. As you're not having to remove the whole coating it will cut down significantly on the amount of dust floating around.

Also, what type of sander are you using and does it have a dust-collecting bag?

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I bought the Ozito detail sander and sadly it does not catch even 10%of the dust …really disapppointed ..plan to go get it returned ..I’ll try your suggestion above and see if that makes it easier 

I noticed that the Dulux one says that no sanding is needed on most surfaces ..do you think it will work on the surface I have ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mark270481 

There are a few ways you can deal with sanding dust. If the small dust catcher on the sanding machine is not doing it for you. I suggest getting a shop vac and linking it to your sander. Basic shop vacs can do wet and dry and double as dust extractor for various tools.  

Another method is to seal the area with painter's plastic drop sheets. They can be secured with masking tape making your own private sanding booth. This method also allows you to isolate parts of the house to make sure that the sanding dust does not go any further than the area you are working in.  

It is always safer to sand the surface you are painting. This will give the paint a good surface to anchor on and reduces the possibility of it peeling off.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Mark270481
Growing in Experience

@EricL realised soon after that the Ozito sander is absolute rubbish …the hook and loop system would not hold the sandpaper (even changed the base) and the ist catcher caught nothing ..returned it for a Ryobi and this one is doing so much better ..I even get dust  in the catcher 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects