Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove flower beds?

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

How to remove flower beds?

PXL_20230705_005250743.MP~2.jpg

I want to remove the flower beds in front of my house.  (the place marked in red), reason 1 is that it blocks part of the garage entrance, and it is very difficult to park two cars.  Reason 2 is that it has no drainage holes, it damages the building foundation.

PXL_20230705_010127421.MP.jpg

There's a post supporting the deck above, and it's only about half sit on the flower beds.  I want to remove the flower beds and have this post sit on the ground.  645mm from the ground. Any ideas for this?

PXL_20230705_005305816.MP.jpg

PXL_20230705_005314880.MP.jpg

PXL_20230705_005933393.MP.jpg

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

Re: How to remove flower beds?

One more thing, the water pipe under the concrete is PVC material. So I need a very strong overlay. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @etmomoabc 

Much better and that is a lot of hard work that you have done!

I havnt done a lot of concreting other then concrete posts into the ground. Have you had a look at the different types of concrete bags from Bunnings? I wander around looking at them and the specs they have. That is what I did for the repair to my patio.

It should be resonablly easy to find a premix bag of concrete that will work. My only concern is that waterpipe? (thin copper pipe that goes down into the concrete) It may be an idea of wrapping rubber around it to stop it being impacted but hot/cold weather heating the concrete. 

I will let someone who knows a little more about conctrete offer what type to use and wether it can go down on wet sand.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @etmomoabc 

Your instincts are correct, I recommend letting the ground and sandy area dry up as much as possible before you cover it with concrete. I propose using Bastion 20kg Concrete Mix or similar. If you are only doing a small section one standard 20kg should be enough. I don't recommend getting quick set or quick drying concrete as they dry too fast and will not give you a lot of time to adjust or finish the surface. 

However, its best to calculate the area you'll be covering so that you'll know how many bags you'll need for your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects