Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh window sill, frames and staircase rails?

prasthanga
Just Starting Out

How to refresh window sill, frames and staircase rails?

Window sills, frames and the staircase rails are looking old and withered. What are tools, products and process I can use to refresh it? Thank you.

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I refresh Window sill, frames and staircase rails.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @prasthanga. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring timberwork.

The handrails appear like they'd certainly benefit from sanding and then recoating. However, it would be difficult to match the balustrade's colouring. I'd suggest if you wish to restore the railing, then it would be a case of sanding it all down and then choosing a stain and varnish to suit your tastes. A detail sander and multitool with a sanding pad would come in handy for some areas, though there will be a lot of hand sanding involved to get around the curved surfaces. I recommend starting with 180-grit sandpaper to remove any degraded timber and then switching to 240-grit for finishing to a smooth surface.

For the window frames and sills, I'd need a more detailed photo to determine the best plan of attack. I'd suggest, at a minimum, they'd need a light sanding before re-coating. 

A stain and varnish combo can be used to coat both the railing and the window frames and sills.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects