Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent a front door from sticking?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to prevent a front door from sticking?

The front door was in need of a replacement but I removed it and repaired. The sealing around the glass was allowing water internally into the door and the wood panels in places, you could push your finger right through the door.

After the repairsAfter the repairs 

The door has new wood and is all sealed up and now I need to finish the other parts to the door I haven't done yet and need advise on what I should look for to fix the problem and not just do the aesthetics.

After each rain the side bottom of the door jams to the door frame and when the rain goes away the door is no longer jammed.

The problem I feel is water is getting into the door frame and while I could just replace the frame pieces I do not think this is the problem and would like advise what I should be looking for.

Water Damage FrameWater Damage FramePaint from Front DoorPaint from Front Door

I feel the water must be coming in from somewhere but I don't see where and hope I will see the problem when I remove the door frame parts. Also there is staining under the door that I should do something about.

Water under tilesWater under tiles

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front Door sticking

Hello @Kvic 

Thank you for posting those extra photos of your door assembly. Despite the mess, I don't see a great deal of timber rot in the photo unless it's in another part of the door. Can you please take a photo of the damaged area of the door frame? 

If your house does not have a basement, I suspect those dots you are seeing are holes in your roof and have lined up with your wall. If you try to trace the source of the light, you should see the holes in your roof. Once you've repaired the holes, those dots inside your wall should disappear. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your front door repaired.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Pulled off outside front door trim that was the cause of water coming in to the door frame and the cause for the door sticking.

I wanted to remove it as some one had seal it with silastic while attached to the door frame and the sealing and edges from painting look very messy with no straight lines.

Strip removedStrip removedMessy sealing jobMessy sealing job

But there is a huge hole.

I was going to seal the gap and paint the strip and wall separately and then refit the strip but I wounder if there is something I can do to seal this hole and then fit the strip.

The damage from the leaking stripThe damage from the leaking strip

This is where the water was getting in from the outside door strip into the frame and causing the frame to swell and then jam.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kvic 

It looks like someone tried to repair it with a great deal of silicone. To cover the gap between your door frame and the wall, I suggest adding an extra piece of timber moulding like Porta 40 x 12mm 2.4m DAR Tasmanian Oak Select

But before you attach that moulding, I recommend sanding off the old paint on both sides of that gap. I suggest using Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat on both sides and the timber moulding. 

Once the timber mould is secured in place add another coat of primer to seal it in place. I advise getting a new door trim and painting it with the same primer before you install it over the timber moulding. 

To add an extra layer of protection, I suggest applying Selleys 430g White No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler on all the timber joints before painting it over with the topcoat.

I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how to cover the gap. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Kvic
Having an Impact

I have made a list of things that I will get for the project and have a question.

Some of the timber I want is 2.7m in length and I think I can get them into my car but can I get the trade section which I believe has a circular saw cut the 2.7 to a 2.1m length and then all should fit nicely.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's not an issue @Kvic. We have a timber-cutting service for exactly that reason. Just speak to a helpful team member in the timber yard, and they'll cut it for you.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects