Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint architraves and door trims?

annieerbs
Cultivating a Following

How to paint architraves and door trims?

We recently bought a house and now that we are in it I've noticed all the architraves and door trims have been painted with flat paint. The paint scratches off very easily. Is it possible to paint over the flat paint with gloss? What preparation would I need to do to ensure the gloss paint adheres?

Thank you

Annie20240409_104306.jpg20240409_104254.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint architraves and door trims?

Hello @annieerbs 

Thanks for sharing your question about your architraves and door trims. Due to the paint's brittle nature, I suggest sanding it off to make sure that the new paint will not be compromised by the weak paint cover. I suggest investing in an electric sander to cut your sanding time in half.

Please note that this will generate a great deal of sanding dust so you might want to look into getting an Ozito 1250W 12L Stainless Wet And Dry Vacuum to attach to the sander.

Once the weak paint has been sanded off, you'll need to wipe all the sanding dust away and make sure that the trims are all clean. I suggest priming the surface with Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L and for the topcoat I recommend Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to sand back paint on trims @amy2 

Here is a link to a handy guide: How to paint like a professional by @Peggers 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annieerbs
Cultivating a Following

Thankyou so much for thus information Eric! I was hoping I didn't have to sand it but guess knew deep down I would. So disappointing buying a house having been told it's been newly painted.. buyer beware for sure! 

I do have a small iron shaped Westco sander I could use but the bag isn't very effective.

Really appreciate you getting back to me.

Am I correct in thinking that gloss should be used in these areas?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @annieerbs 

It is a bit disappointing when they use cheap paint. I propose doing it in sections so that it does not feel overwhelming. It is safer to sand the cheap paint away rather than taking a chance of painting over it. I recommend using Dulux 1L White Aquanamel High Gloss Enamel Paint as it is specifically made for window and door trims.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annieerbs
Cultivating a Following

Eric thankyou so much! Yes I too was thinking one room at a time. 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects