Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint and seal yellow tongue subfloor?

salbro
Finding My Feet

How to paint and seal yellow tongue subfloor?

Hi, I’m just looking for a bit of advice. Our yellow tongue subfloor got some water damage. It’s been assessed and doesn’t need replacing and all leaks have been fixed but it still smells mouldy when the humidity rises. We are prepping the floor to put down floating boards and I’m just wondering if there is anything in particular I can use to paint it/seal it before we lay new flooring. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting/sealing yellow tongue subfloor

Hi @salbro,

You can coat the particle board flooring with Cabot's CFP. However, it's important to ensure the flooring is completely dry before doing so. You really don't want to trap moisture in there due to coating over it. If the moisture becomes trapped it will continue to degrade the flooring. We have moisture meters like the Ozito Digital Moisture Meter that can be used to check the flooring.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you!

Yep the floor is dry.

we painted over the worst sections with some leftover water based primer. I will sand them back a bit but is this ok to go over the top of some residual pain?

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That should be fine, @salbro. You can coat over paint with polyurethane.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects