Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mortice 90mm radius hinges on door and door jam?

geoffr
Getting Established

How to mortice 90mm radius hinges on door and door jam?

I've bought 90mm radius hinges to replace existing old hinges during our home renovation. I also purchased the Ryobi Door Hinge Kit and Ryobi Trim Router from Bunnings for routing the mortices in the door. Problem: The Ryobi kit does not do 90mm hinges! It does 100mm, so I thought to mortice one end, then slide it back 10mm to mortice the other end. However, the Ryobi hinge kit template also provides too much space between edge of door and the hinge. To use it would be to leave an ugly 3 or 4 mm gap between edge of door and hinge. It also fails to help me mortice the door jam.

So my ultimate question:  How do I do this? What tools do carpenters use to neatly mortice the 90mm radius hinges to both door and jam. I prefer not to do them manually with a chisel if possible.

Thanks for advice for a solution!

Regards,

Geoff

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mortice 90mm radius hinges on door and door jam?

Hi @geoffr,

I apologise that the Ryobi hinge kit template isn't suitable for your radius hinges. We'd happily return it since it's unsuitable for your project.

A carpenter would likely create a custom template or jig matching the hinge radius from plywood or MDF. They'd then use a router with a straight bit and guide bushing, adjusting the depth to match hinge thickness. Once they roughed out the mortice, a final clean-up of the corners and edges would be done with a sharp chisel. It would be a similar process for the door jamb, aligning the jig with the door mortises. This method would be suitable if you were looking to do more than one door. For a single door, a carpenter would likely do the work with only a chisel.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects