Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a festive garland without damaging the wall

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

How to hang a festive garland without damaging the wall

This is the first year we will get to decorate our house for Christmas, we have been renovating since we bought it 2.5 years ago and finally have it Christmas ready. Don't get me wrong we have a load of projects to do, like build the kitchen and finish our downstairs. But for right now we have finally room and space to decorate so I thought I would share with you my garland hack.

As we have just opened up this wall and painted the last thing I wanted to do was put holes in the wall😱 so instead I headed to Bunning's and picked up a Spring fit Curtain Rod. You could also use a shower rail, but as our opening is 2.6m I picked up the curtain rod. The rod opens out and fixes to the opening using rubber pads.

View the Video

How to Hang a Garland without damaging your walls.

You wil need a spring fit Curtain rod or shower rod and decorations of your choosing.

Most people use a garland to decorate this way but I have gone for something a little different.

Step one: Fit the rod

I fit the ends to  the pole and followedthe instructions to fit the width of the wall. 

Step Two: Decorate

I started with it a little lower and I wrapped wired ribbon around the length of the pole. Once it was secure I raised the pole to the desired height then tied on my home made paper stars. This allowed me to pick a height for them as I wanted to stagger the heights for interest.

IMG_8520_jpg.JPG

Once I was happy with the stars i added a wire garland and wrapped some fairy lights around the pole.

What do you think?

How to Make the Paper Stars?

IMG_8485_jpg.jpg

How to Make Festive Paper Stars for under $4

View the Video Here

Materials

Lunch bags a colour of your choosing.

Craft Glue or hot glue

Scissors

Hole Punch

Twine

IMG_7428_jpg.jpg

Glue 7 paper bags together and leave dry for 24 hours. 

Once they’re dry draw your design on the bag and cut along the line.

IMG_7721_jpg.jpg

Once you have your basic shape you can use a hole punch to create a little more interest along the edge of the design.

Open the stars out and glue the remaining 2 sides together. I used a little sticky tape to tape the end of the twine in the centre of the bags being glued.

You can add them to a garland to your tree or really anywhere in the house you’re planning to decorate. You can also vary the size of the stars by using different sized lunch bags.

Have a Merry Christmas 

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a festive garland without damaging the wall

Hello @Renowayoflife 

What an excellent method of hanging holiday decorations without damaging your walls. It's always been an issue for me as the hooks I use always either leave a residue or peel some of the paint off. Using that extending bar is quite clever and using the paper lunch bags as Christmas stars is really inspired.

Thanks for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects