Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install barn door over wall opening?

henrywr
Growing in Experience

How to install barn door over wall opening?

Hi everyone,
I've been a longtime reader of the workshop forum and have really enjoyed the positive and constructive community atmosphere, not to mention the numerous projects people have shared here.

I have a spare lounge room with an opening (no door), and I've been thinking about adding a sliding barn door so the room can be used as the occasional guest room.

To install the barn door track, I plan to put in a backer/headboard so I don't have to worry about lining up the track holes with the studs and also to provide clearance from the wall & floor skirting. However, some parts of the headboard will be attached to studs that don't go from floor to ceiling (I'm referring to the section above the wall opening), and I'm unsure if it will be enough to support the weight of the door.
wall opening - annotated.jpgwall opening - framing.jpg

I'm keen to hear from the community, especially if you've attempted something similar. Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install barn door over wall opening?

HI @henrywr 

Thank you so much for sharing that very detailed post about how you built the barn door. I'm sure our members will find this information very useful. How heavy would you say the door is?  

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
henrywr
Growing in Experience

Re: How to install barn door over wall opening?

Hi @EricL 

Door weight is around 30kg if I remembered correctly.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects