Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ Panels on rendered and plastered brick?

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

How to install VJ Panels on rendered and plastered brick?

Hi folks! 

The weekend DIY renovation of our 80s fixer-upper is now three months in and still very much a building site but we’re almost at the point we can start rebuilding and putting our mark on the place! 

There’s two walls where I’d like to install VJ Panels, but I’ve had no luck finding videos or guidance on how do this on brick walls that are rendered and finished with white set plaster - the standard walls in Perth but not the rest of Australia.  Aussie videos focus seem to focus on timber frame homes and suggest finding studs, using stud glue and mounting directly onto the wall. A few international videos talk about installing panels onto brick by first placing a timber frame behind, but that doesn’t address what to do when there’s plaster and cornice. 

My walls are currently stripped back to plaster and getting patched, but still pretty bumpy so I’ll be delicately skim plastering most walls with Gyprock Top Coat, after which I have to wait 4 weeks to dry before painting.

I’m wondering if it’d be more cost and time effective to prime then install the VJ rather than skim-plaster to neaten, then wall prime, paint, then VJ then paint again. Has anyone here been faced with this choice? Note too this has one of the most damaged plaster corners in the house and I’m honestly hoping to avoid fixing that! :laugh: See the photos below of the wall - now with paint removed, and you can see its position as the main view from the kitchen as you look down the hallway to the bedrooms. 

F73B5D84-BC99-4108-BAEB-C0EA28E8F89B.jpegD8ADB3CF-BC5D-42F9-B68E-30CC8BCA6C01.jpeg

I’m then not sure exactly how to install the panels onto the plaster - if I need to install a wood frame to mount it on first, how do I deal with the panels sticking out from the cornice? Ideally, I don’t want to remove then re-install the cornices.

Many thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install VJ Panels on rendered and plastered brick

Hi @SensibleHill,

Basically, the panels need to be glued and mechanically fixed to the substrate. To achieve this, you could use stud adhesive per the installation instructions and then screw directly through the sheet and plaster and into the brickwork with Ramset Black Countersunk Masonry Screws. I'd suggest doing a few test areas with the screws to ensure they drive easily into your brickwork.

Unfortunately, both Laminex Surround and Easycraft VJ Panels are not designed to go directly over a masonry wall and do require timber battens. So, if you did experience any issues with the above installation method, it would not be covered under warranty. The concern seems to be airflow behind the sheeting, as any moisture in the brick wall could adversely affect the sheeting.

In regards to setting the sheeting out from the wall with battens and not wanting to replace the cornice, that will become an issue. In order to have a cornice above the panelling, you'll need to remove the current one and re-install a new cornice. As you said, if it's the most damaged cornice in the house, it likely needs to be replaced anyway.

Let me mention a few of our members that have contributed VJ panelling products, @ProjectPete, @craftyhopper and @EleventhCoastal, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi, I'm in Perth too and have a carpentry company. We've been installing direct over plaster for years and I've even discussed this method directly with Easycraft and Laminex and there's no concern beside of course the risk of moisture but that concern is really just at install rather than down the track as Perth is not considered a high humidity location.

Use a high quality sealant and adhesive with a fast grab and apply it in horizontal beads/lines at 400mm centres, run a bead along both vertical sides and one down the middle. Fix into place with 16G brad nails. The adhesive is doing all the work, the brads are just holding the sheets in place while it cures.

You'll find the sheets are same thickness as the bottom of a standard cornice. Leave your expansion gaps and you can fill them with a flexible filler before painting.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@ProjectPete,

Just in case you missed it, this is hard plaster over brick.

Mitchell

Yes that's all good mate. That's 99% of houses here in Perth.

----------
Handy and helpful

Fantastic, @ProjectPete; I just wanted to confirm as I was unsure how the brads you mentioned would be driven into a brick wall. 

Mitchell

15-20mm is enough to hold just for curing.

You can get masonry Brads which will penetrate and hold in brick but they're overkill in this scenario.

This is why the high quality sealant and adhesive is key with a fast/power grab.

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi @ProjectPete 

I’m also from Perth and have plastered brick walls. Can I confirm that you don’t need baten frames and just use strong adhesive glue? Also what do you mean by fix in place with 16G Brad nails. Sorry if my questions sounds silly but I don’t have a lot of experience but am eager🙂

many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @richie123 

Let me tag @ProjectPete to make them aware of your question. I believe that they've mentioned that they've installed directly to plaster without the need for a batten frame. 16G brad nails are small nails that are used to keep light pieces of timber or panels in place when fixed with adhesive. It is a form of support to keep the timber or panel in place and prevent it from sliding or peeling off.

It sounds like a fantastic project, any photo updates you can provide would be very much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

This is really helpful as we are about to embark on this for our dining room. Just wondering how to go about the corner as the panels aren’t between two walls which all the videos seem to show. How do you get a neat finish on the edge of the wall? 

image.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects