Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang 9mm MDF 2.4mx1.2m on wall?

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

How to hang 9mm MDF 2.4mx1.2m on wall?

Hi Guys,

I need to hang MDF board on the wall for decoration.

I don't want to cut and hang, instead, I want to hand as a big length of 9mm board.

I don't want to nail it either.

I want to hang it so that I can take it out easily. Which hooks can take the load and how many hooks are required?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/9mm-mdf-panel-standard-2440-x-1220mm_p0590056

regards,

Amit

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang 9mm MDF 2.4mx1.2m on wall?

Hello @imcodebased (Amit)

Thanks for sharing your question about hanging a 2400 x 1200mm 9mm MDF Panel Standard. The average weight of this panel is around 20kg but because the weight is spread out it's possible to hang this board on your wall. I suggest using Zenith 12G x 60mm Zinc Plated Countersunk Head Wood Screws - 10 Pack. If you wish to be able to unhook the board from the wall, I suggest drilling 5 holes on the board equally distant from each other and centred to the board.

It's important that the screws are mounted to the studs in the wall so that even if you accidentally bump the panel, it will not move or stress the screws positions. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you can hang it.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to hang just about anything by @Adam_W 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric. I don't want to make holes on MDF. I want to have an ability to take out this board anytime I want. 

Idea is to Glue ACP (Aluminium Panel) on MDF and then hang like one will hang a painting. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @imcodebased (Amit)

Here is another method you can try, I suggest using a French cleat to hook the panel to the wall. I've placed a sample sketch below, please let me know if this technique will work for you.

Eric

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much.  It seems working 

How do I get this cut ?

@imcodebased you may find these an easier option that won't require any cutting, they come in various lengths.
Only thing you may need to do is add a piece of trim to the bottom of your board, About 11mm thick, so that the board sits plumb, otherwise it will tilt a little towards the bottom.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @imcodebased 

You'll need to cut the timber at a 45-degree angle with a circular saw. However, if you don't have a circular saw, I suggest going with @Adam_W's recommendation as it does not require any cutting, but you will need to use a few of them to hold the panel in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects