Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of water outside our fibreglass pool?

geoffr
Getting Established

How to get rid of water outside our fibreglass pool?

We purchased a home with a fibreglass pool in poor condition. One day we will replace it. In the meantime, it doesn't appear to be leaking, though the sides look slightly buckled and there is a gap between the pool edge and the coping that fills with water. Thus after all this rain, the pool appears to be sitting within an encasement of water. The ground is largely clay in this area.

I have a bilge pump I bought from Bunnings. Should I use it to pump out the water that is surrounding the pool or is it better to leave the water in the void?

Thanks,

Geoff

Gap, fills with waterGap, fills with waterPool gap - fills with waterPool gap - fills with water416247687_907587687166797_5335401059031704708_n.jpg417109974_395412976481803_4853576314428204035_n.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Should I drain (or pump) water that is outside our fibreglass pool?

Hi @geoffr 

That water tapped  between your pool and concrete shell cant be doing  good/ Ideally I would  want to seal that large gap all the way around to stop more water entering the reason the gap is large is because of possibly lots of water with pressure down there.  But  that may seal the water in to.

Yes pump it out if you can the sides  may return closer to the brick  work,  I am not sure a pump will fit down the sides or a plastic hose all the way down.

Depending on the surounding concrete it maybe water proof and never self drain the water.

It might require the thoughts of a  pool company that knows the pitfalls of fibreglass pools and also have worked out a good solution as well more importantly.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of water outside our fibreglass pool?

Hello @geoffr 

My apologies for the late reply. In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a pool professional. The repairs necessary to your pool installation can't be done as D.I.Y. The separation of the pool from the foundation wall will need to be investigated. Why did the pool separate from the wall? Was there a collapse in the pool's earthen foundation? Did water erode the earthen pool wall?  

These are the type of questions the pool professional will need to answer. At the moment I suggest removing the water that's sitting between the pool wall and the earthen wall. This will prevent water from seeping further into the pool's foundation. I also suggest covering the gap with plastic sheeting to prevent rainwater from going into the gap.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Should I drain (or pump) water that is outside our fibreglass pool?

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

geoffr
Getting Established

Re: How to get rid of water outside our fibreglass pool?

Hi Eric, yes, will do. Thanks for the advice.

regards,

Geoff

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects