Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix timber flooring?

H3nna
Having an Impact

How to fix timber flooring?

Any ideas how to fix this ? We had our floors changed professionally less than 6 months ago and now this happens. 

Screenshot_20231128-140515.png

20231128_140250.JPG

Thank you

Henna 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix timber flooring?

Afternoon @H3nna 

My first step would be contacting the company that put the new flooring in and having a chat with them. 

Floating floorboards do contract and expand I know but usually that is hidden by teh edge taht is put around the room. Your seems to be missing that spot? With the second photo is that a crack in the floating floorboard? Or a bow? 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber flooring

Hello @H3nna 

I'm definitely in agreement with @Dave-1 on this. I suggest calling the installer and have them repair the bowing of your timber flooring. This phenomenon usually happens when not enough space is placed between the edge of the flooring and the wall. When the temperature changes and the floor begins to expand it takes up that gap.

Failure to provide expansion space for the flooring will result in bowing which is what you are experiencing now. If you are experiencing multiple bows in your flooring it will be necessary to re-lay the timber flooring and a proper expansion gap put in.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Lay Vinyl Plank Flooring

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
H3nna
Having an Impact

Re: How to fix timber flooring?

Yes they are coming to have a look if there are something they can do. There was the edge but it has since fallen out because the floor boards have expanded and bowed. 

H3nna
Having an Impact

Re: Timber flooring

Thank you Eric. Originally there was the expansion space around the edge but since the floor has expanded they have now filled out the gaps.

I will have a look the guide thank you for that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects