Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this brick wall before tiling?

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

How to fix this brick wall before tiling?

Hi guys. May I ask how to fix the brick wall. The brick wall in the bathroom will be tiled in the end. What product should I use to repair the holes on it?

1000002071.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fill or fix brick wall

Hi @etmomoabc,

In order to tile the bathroom, first waterproofing would need to be done. Instead of filling all these fairly substantial holes, it might be best to install Villaboard over the area. That will provide a suitable sheeted product for waterproofing and a flat and ready-to-tile area. It's also going to be less effort than trying to fill these holes and give you a better surface. Now that the plumbing has been done to suit the brick wall, you'd need to check whether adding the thickness of Villabord over it will mean issues with the plumbing depth of fixing attachment. I'd suggest having a word with your builder, tiler and waterproofer to determine the best approach. A concern I have is that the waterproofer/tiler will not want to proceed over a surface in this condition, as it really should be lined with Villaboard first.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

I can't increase the thickness. Installing Villaboard can cause problems with water

mixers

That's understandable, @etmomoabc, but the wall is in rough shape, and in hindsight, Villaboard should have been installed before the plumbing so it could have been set at the correct depth.

The areas requiring bulk filling will need to be done with a mortar, and then you could skim coat over them up to a 25mm thickness with Lanko 5kg 136 Rapid Patching Mortar. Due to the size and depth of some of the holes, you'll likely need to do this in several steps or create formwork to hold the mortar within the holes until it sets.

Mitchell

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

Choose cement fiber board

Hi 

I'm renovating the bathroom. I'm looking for a fiber cement board for the Finish wall. Get rid of mold in tile grout gaps. 

I'm not sure it works? Do I still need to apply a waterproof membrane? Can I paint on the waterproof membrane? 

Re: Choose cement fiber board

Hi @etmomoabc,

As mentioned above, Villaboard would be the correct cement sheeting for your walls. The cement sheeting is the base layer and then waterproofing must be completed for the whole bathroom. A brush is typically used to apply the membrane. Once the walls and floors are waterproofed, you can move onto tiling. I'd suggest you enlist the services of a professional for your sheet installation and waterproofing, as they are quite complicated tasks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

Hi can I use 

cladding  

For the finish wall. Just paint it. No tiles 

Hi @etmomoabc,

Villaboard is the correct product for internal wet areas, whether it is being tiled over or painted. HardieTex is an exterior cladding. Is the painted board to be used around the bathroom or with the shower recess? Painted Villaboard is not a suitable surface within the shower recess area.

Mitchell

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

used in shower recess. I'm looking for some kind of waterproof board replacement for tiles.

Hi @etmomoabc,

You'd most likely be looking at something like these wet-area shower panels that can be used in place of tiles.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects