Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix door handle falling off?

Angelixangel
Just Starting Out

How to fix door handle falling off?

Hi guys, I’m a newbie in DIY here. I’m trying to fix this door handle which kept dropping off no matter how I put the screw back in. I presume the hole in the wood is too big, hence the screw is constantly dropping out? What material should I be using? Thanks in advance! 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix door handle falling off?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Angelixangel. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing dummy door handles.

The issue you are facing is that there is nothing inside the door to be holding your screw; it's just the 3mm MDF skin of the door. The screw has chewed up the hole, so it's no longer able to hold the handle in place. You might be able to rotate the back plate 90-degress and screw back into fresh material. Alternatively, you can replace the screws with longer bolts that go the whole way through the door.

Typically, these handles have a through-door fitting option that is recommended instead of timber screws into the thin skin of the door. You might like to consider switching the handles for ones that have this option and our helpful team in-store will be able to help you make that selection. It's a much more solid connection that prevents this issue.

As a temporary solution, you might like to try squeezing some Liquid Nails in the hole before re-inserting the screw.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects