Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix light cover fittings that fall off?

canny1
Growing in Experience

How to fix light cover fittings that fall off?

image.jpg

 Hi have several lights as of type in picture. All of a sudden all the covers have just fallen off. As can be seen, light works fine. So issue I found is that the catches that hold the light cover in have the part that holds the cover in place broke.  One  sparky I asked said entire light has to be replaced and by a qualified electrician. This seems ludicrous and costly i.e outside my budget for 3 separate lights at this point in time. Surely we can just buy a new fastener. 

canny1
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fix light cover fittings that fall off?

And lastly, the cover is plastic thankfully or my mother might have gotten hurt when it fell on her head. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @canny1 

Thank you very much for posting those extra photos of your light fittings. I take it that the plastic post has a little nib at the end that twists around to hold the light cover in place. It might be possible to recreate the fitting but with different materials. I propose changing the post with a Ramset 3 / 16" x 16mm RamNut Anchor - 4 Pack in combination with a Pinnacle M8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer - 12 Pack.

The general idea is to remove the plastic post and replace it with the RamNut Anchor which is rubber and putting the washer at the end to serve as the clip to hold the light cover in place. It might take several attempts, but if fitted properly should hold the the light cover in place. Your other option is to contact the manufacturer and inquire about spare parts for your light fitting. 

Please don't forget to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your repair project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
canny1
Growing in Experience

Thanks mate. Lovely lady at Oriel is having a look to see if she can find anything but apparently a range for 2012 so not promising anything. 

canny1
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much. If Oriel can’t assist may need to fall back to your suggestion. Have a great day. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @canny1 

:smile: Glad someone is having a look, Erics suggestion is along the same lines as what I was thinking but if you have hassles and they cant find a spare part I am sure we can figure out something to use :smile:

Dave

Without an original clip it is hard to know that to use. They clips appear to be actuated by levers behind the light. This or the whitco version might work. https://www.bunnings.com.au/rolltrak-zinc-flyscreen-swivel-clip-offset-8-pack_p0227714

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects