Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix chipped wall paint and hole in plaster glass ceiling?

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

How to fix chipped wall paint and hole in plaster glass ceiling?

Hi,

What products do I need to fix chipped wall paint, only the top layer/paint has come off because of blue tack or tape. Do I only need to sand it down and then paint?

For my ceiling, the lights were removed and left a small 3cm hole that requires fixing for plaster glass ceiling. Do I only need to use the wall patch (https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-100-x-100mm-plasterboard-wall-patch_p0730622)  and paint after? 

I've had a look at https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/diy-skills/repairing/how-to-fix-a-hole-in-the-wall, but not sure if different for a plaster glass ceiling. 

For cracks as well, which is the correct plaster compound to use for cracks about 30 to 50cms long?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix chipped wall paint and hole in plaster glass ceiling

Hi @NumeroUno 

I suggest sanding the chipped area on your wall with 240 grit sandpaper. Wipe the area clean with a clean damp rag to remove all the sanding dust. I recommend putting a layer of Poly Wall Repair Kit on the damaged area. Fill in only what you need so that you won't have to sand too much off once the filler cures. Once the filler is totally dry, sand it down it down to the same level as the wall. Remove all the sanding dust before you start painting the patched area.

In regards to your plaster glass ceiling, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the hole in the ceiling. This will give our members a chance to assess the type of ceiling material that you have. We can then make recommendations on how to repair it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Attached is a picture of the ceiling. 

20230612_095710.jpg

Hi @NumeroUno,

You can use a general-purpose filler like Poly 100g Plaster Cracks Filler on all the cracks and this hole in the ceiling.

Did you want to remove the fittings, or were you happy to just paint over them, like the one to the right of the image?

Given that this ceiling board has fibres, you should treat it as containing asbestos. It's likely not, but better safe than sorry. Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, disposable overall and a respirator. For more information on asbestos, please check out our Best Advice guide on Where you might find asbestos in your home.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects