Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken metal door frame hinge screws and rusted frame?

Newyork77
Just Starting Out

How to fix broken metal door frame hinge screws and rusted frame?

So I have two issues I have a metal door frame which the screws / maybe rivets have broken off and I need to refix the hinge. And secondly the leading edge of the frame has rusted to a point where I can’t fix the metal strike plate. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1179.jpeg

IMG_1181.jpeg

IMG_1178.jpeg

Thanks 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix broken metal door frame hinge screws and rusted frame?

Hi @Newyork77,

Firstly, welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

The hinge should be reasonably easy to fix as the holes don't appear to be too worn. I would start by carefully drilling out the existing rivets using a drill such as the Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Drill Driver Kit. Once the existing rivets have been removed, I'd use the Craftright Rivet Gun to replace the old rivets, ensuring that the head of the rivet isn't too small that it will slip through the hole of the hinge.

Given the frame is significantly compromised and you're unlikely to find a striker plate that would suit as there isn't sufficient material to attach to, I recommend considering employing the services of a professional to cut out the damaged portion and weld in a new section. They'll then be able to create your cut out and install a new striker plate.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas - @Dave-1 @Jewelleryrescue @Nailbag

Please let me know what you think.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix broken metal door frame hinge screws and rusted frame?

Evening @Newyork77 

What a pain ehh 😕 Fair chance its fixable tho :smile:

Drilling the old rivets out would be my first step and then replacing them with a larger rivet. Id try and use the smallest drill that fits the hole of the existing rivet, just a bit bigger then the old rivets center hole. 

For the strike plate issue, Id first clean up the rust and then use some rust converter on the surface to stop it continuing.

I would then try either of these ideas.

A - Look at Bunnings for a longer strike plate and then modify it. All it has to do is be longer then the two rusted holes and the same thickness as the strike plate you have now. Whitco Flat Suit 25 Series Stainless Steel Strike Plate 

B- Buy some stainess flat bar and then cut the length longer then the two holes so it covers it and then drill a hole the same size as the existing strike plate.. You can pop rivet this to the door frame and not have to worry about moving the lock. Australian Handyman Supplies 600 x 300 x 0.9mm 316 Stainless Steel Mini Sheet 

Side note, if the wind has picked up the door and made it bang maybe put into place something that will arrest the movement, so it wont get to that "point" again. Say a chain, wire rope, stopper outside type deal.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects