Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking tin roof?

gardenannie
Just Starting Out

How to fix a leaking tin roof?

Hello,  my old corrugated roof is leaking and I can’t afford to replace it at the moment. I want to patch or seal it from inside the roof space. What are the best products for this? Can I buy flexible  membrane patches or paint on something that forms a membrane? Silicone for small holes I guess? Thank you 😊 

Re: How to fix a leaking tin roof?

Hi @BoeingFan,

It sounds to me like the Dulux Acratex roof membrane system is what you need. It's a full acrylic elastomeric polymer and, as such, will provide a waterproof coating to your roof. You'll need to repair those pin holes first and treat the rusted areas as best as possible with a rotary wire brush and rust converter.

The product is not marketed to D.I.Y.'ers as painting a roof is not typically a project many would attempt themselves. 

Regarding the heat reflective properties, the Dulux Acratex Cool Roof provides maximum Solar Reflectance for optimum cooling benefit. 

It might be a good idea to jump onto the Dulux website and have a chat with their consultants. They'll be able to walk you through the project. There is a possibility that you could use the membrane and then over coat with the Cool Roof, but the Dulux technical team would like to discuss that with you directly.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc,

What's the closest solution you would recommend that Bunnings offer? Something I can DIY.

Cheers,

Jason

Hi @BoeingFan,

I am unaware of a stocked roof paint that provides membrane and heat-reflective properties. In fact, your only real option would be to use Dulux Weathershield, but after speaking with the Dulux technical team, they advise a roof painting system like Acratex instead of a general exterior paint like Weathershield.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for your efforts and advice, I appreciate it. I'll have to go down that path or save up to install new Colourbond instead.

Cheers,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects