Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a door that doesnt close and latch?

Sath
Growing in Experience

How to fix a door that doesnt close and latch?

This door doesn’t close and latch properly. Can’t hear the usual click and often the door opens. Do I replace the whole latch or is there a structural issue ?

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door doesnt close and latch

Hi @Sath,

The latch is likely not entering the striker plate's recess due to a misalignment issue. The door could have drooped slightly, so first, check that the hinge screws are tightened correctly. To determine the issue, close the door and carefully examine where the latch meets the striker plate. Is the latch aligned with the recess in the sticker plate? Is it below it or above it? You need to know exactly what's happening to make the correct adjustments for alignment.

If you can close the door to the point of the latch meeting the striker plate and take a picture from the front, I might be able to determine if it's a height issue.

You could replace the whole assembly, but you'll still be left with trying to align the mechanisms correctly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Lovely Sunday morning @MitchellMc  and @Sath   👍

I would like to agree/confirm with everything Mitch said above, especially checking the door hinges and whether all the screws are tight. I have been caught out there.

Looking closer at the strike plate - it looks like the there are two different screw heads used and the top one looks loose?

The plate also looks angled.

Looking at the marking - the latch must be very close to engaging - you only have to be a millimetre out and it won't work.

Keep trying with the plate. I sometimes draw pencil marks from the strike plate to the architrave - then close the the door, watching exactly where the latch enters the strike plate and seeing whether it's above, below or spot on. If it's spot on - then it's most likely a depth problem where the strike plate needs to be moved backwards - to the left on your top photo.

See how ya go.

Cheers to you both.

Capture.PNG

Sath
Growing in Experience

Thanks !

checked the door hinges , they seemed tight.

I removed the plate and the latch didn’t still fall into the recess. Drew pencil guides and had to extend the  recess a tad bit below. Then realigned the plate to the new recess. Works well now 😊

IMG_3671.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice one @Sath! Great Sunday D.I.Y. fix. 

Well done and many thanks for sharing your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects