Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a crack on roof ridge?

southpolemonkey
Cultivating a Following

How to fix a crack on roof ridge?

Hi, my neighbor sent me the picture yesterday and pointed out some cracks on the ridge.

How do I fix the cracks? I've been thinking about roof silicon but wonder if it's strong enough for the big cracks.

Should I apply some mortar?

A side question, what are the blackspots on the bricks? 

Thanks

IMG_8108.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a crack on roof ridge?

Hi @southpolemonkey 

This type of damage commonly happens when the roof tile bedding and pointing have been eroded away by water. To repair the crack, it will require you to go on top of the roof and remove all the old pointing and bedding. You'll need to mix a new batch of bedding and re-point the roof tile. It's not an easy fix and I suggest engaging the services of a professional or trades person to repair the damage.

However, to temporarily cover the crack and side damage, I suggest using Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant in combination with a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper

If you decide to temporarily fix the crack, I suggest taking all necessary safety precautions when working at height. Please make sure to use personal protection such as a harness, gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your roof tile.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
southpolemonkey
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to fix a crack on roof ridge?

Thanks @EricL 

Watched a few videos on rebed and repoint, it would need an angle grinder to remove old mortar and reapply and finish. Not something I'm keen to DIY especially with an angle grinder at height😅

I've had three anchor points installed earlier this year, will get a harness set and see if I can fill the crack as a temporary solution. The roofers are in shortage and a few I rang seems all inundated with backlogs.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects