Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert fluorescent tubes to LED lighting?

happypoppy
Just Starting Out

How to convert fluorescent tubes to LED lighting?

Hi, I am wondering if  the LED replacement tubes come in different lengths please? 
And, area they all either cool, or warm white or is there an option please?

thanks in advance. Am needing it for the headboard in a full size pinball machine.

Greg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: led lighting conversion from flourescentbtube

Hi Greg...

Led tubes generally come in all different lengths the same as fluro tubes and come in warm white or cool white..

If you can't find what you're looking for at Bunnings..you may find it at a online hydroponic store..

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to convert fluorescent tubes to LED lighting?

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @happypoppy. It's a pleasure having you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you in your D.I.Y. projects.

Great to see you've received advice from @Prof about your question on LED replacement tubes. Let me also call upon another one of our knowledgeable members @CSParnell for their input. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist as soon as possible.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to let me know if you need a hand getting the most out of the site.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Prof @happypoppy @Akanksha 

Hey all,

Ok there are a few options depending on what size you are needing.

Guide for retro fitting fluro to LED

1. Don't compare watts with watts it doesn't apply with fluro to LED

2. Does your existing fitting have a starter? That's the little cylinder thing that sits under the tube either in the middle or 1 end? If so great that make life easier.

If not you have an electronic ballast and there is no guarantee that the tube will work so be prepared for that and don't get disappointed.

3. How old it the actual fitting? Are the tombstones falling apart either end? If yes don't bother retro fitting a tube just replace the entire fitting with a LED batten fitting maybe a Tri-Color so you can select the colour you want.

4. If replacing the tube then majority of older tubes are a standard T8 and standard diameter but some older ones are fatter than Augusta from Willy Wonka so length is the go,  you can establish the length of a fluorescent tube by measuring the total distance between the two end pins. The lengths of these tubes are commonly indicated by the wattage. The smallest fluorescent tube is the T2 and it has a length of between 250mm and 760mm. The next longest tube is the T4, with a total length of anywhere between 150mm and 1,500mm. This is followed by the T5, with a length of between 340mm and 1,800mm. The length of the T8 tube may be anywhere from 600mm up to 2,400mm.

5. Colour what colour do I need? 6500k is white like hospital white, 4000k is Daylight, 3000k is Warm White like orange. But I'll let you in on a secret walk into the globe isle of Bunnings and there is a lighting colour chart up above the globes with the colour examples :wink:

6. When you find the tube plllleeeaaasseee check the new tubes for cracks and breaks and also that you have an electronic starter for each globe you need it. These tube packages get damages and dropped by people's and started grow legs so don't be disappointed when you get home.

7. Keep your receipt just incase.......

8. Follow the instructions to a TEE.....

9. Never perform Electrical work apart from changing the starter and tube.

10. If unsure take your tube in and compare, ask for help.

Hope that helps

1000009847.jpg

1000009848.jpg

  

1000009849.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @happypoppy 

It's great that you've received a very comprehensive recommendation from @CSParnell. I suggest following his suggestion and see if it works on your existing set-up. Please remember that any electrical works need to be carried out by a registered electrician. 

Please keep your docket and light packaging just in case you need to exchange the LED bulb.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your light upgraded to LED.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Taken from another site but it gives a good overview:

"What Electrical Work Can I Legally Do Then?

Okay, so we’ve covered some of what you definitely can’t do and the potential penalties if you are caught, but what electrical work are you allowed to do yourself? Let’s briefly list a few of them:

Installing low voltage garden lighting

Installing pond pumps

You can re-wire old-style fuses

Replace a drive belt in a washing machine

Change out a blown light bulb

Replace LED downlights

Cutting openings for air conditioning units but not installing them

Fitting an electric wall oven but not connecting it

Install a battery operated smoke alarm/detector

When you look at the list above it becomes pretty obvious that you can’t perform any direct electrical/wiring work unless you are a licensed professional. The only exception is the installation of low voltage garden lighting"

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects