Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to catch plaster dust when using a hand saw?

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

How to catch plaster dust when using a hand saw?

I need to cut 2 X 210mm holes to install rear ceiling speakers in my living room which is going to make so much dusty mess

What's is a way U can catch all the dust

I'll.be using a serrated plaster saw (hand one)

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to catch plaster dust when using a hand saw?

Good Afternoon @PatDIY_Dad 

Dont use the good vacumcleaner! lol I had one go to the land of vacumn no more after it was used to clean up plaster dust. I have seen ideas to use a large plastic lead with a slot for the blade to go through so you catch most of the dust. When I have done so I usually just bite the bullet, take my time and sweep up the dust afterwards. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PatDIY_Dad 

Thank you for sharing your question about catching plaster dust when using a hand saw.

It's great that you've received good advice from @Dave-1. Even with a comprehensive dust collection system, plaster dust still manages to get away from the vacuum set vacuum. In order to get the majority of the dust falling from the ceiling as you cut the plaster, another person has to be holding the vacuum hose close to the cutting line. 

I totally agree with @Dave-1 on not using the home vacuum unit as dust plaster is very fine and will ultimately damage your appliance. In this instance, I propose thinking about investing in a shop vac unit such as the Ozito 1250W 12L Stainless Wet And Dry Vacuum

It's made for worksite and shop debris. It has an independent bag system in order to catch very fine particles, it has a pleated filter that allows it to work even in the dirtiest environments. It can also double as both home and garage vacuum unit.

However, if the budget is tight, I recommend creating an enclosed area using Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Clear Plastic Drop Sheet in combination with Masking tape. The general idea is to tape the drop sheet on the ceiling with the masking tape creating a square room with the plastic drop sheets as the wall. This will prevent the plaster dust from flying around onto your furniture.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @EricL 

hahahaha Now I really want to build a workshop! :smile: Yeah that would be so handy and on the "must" list to buy. (Ozito Wet and dry vacuum)

This is the time of year that SO many new projects are thought of! Its kind of like spring for the garden, spring for the projects :smile:

Dave

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Thanks all the for advice

I was thinking of trying to get a large clear plastic bag  and tape over where I will cut and put a hole at the bottom for my arm to stick in and tape around that 

Reason why is because we have a very large couch right under where we need to cut and dust will go all over that and even inside it. IT will be very messy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PatDIY_Dad 

One other option you can explore is to use Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Plastic Backed Canvas Drop Sheet and cover your sofa with it. This will allow you to step on your sofa and not damage the drop sheet as you work. I also recommend covering the rest of the area with the plastic drop sheets to prevent getting plaster dust on them.

Eric

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Does bunnings haUntitled.pngve anything like this? just need some large clear plastic sheets

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PatDIY_Dad 

That is exactly what I'm referring to, you can use the Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Clear Plastic Drop Sheet as they are taller than your ceiling height. But if you want something stronger, I suggest Monarch 2.6 x 3.6m Blue Plastic Drop Sheet. If you still want something really sturdy, I propose looking at GRUNT 2m x 10m Clear 70um Multi Use Plastic Film.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects