Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build support piers for small house extension?

Ext54
Finding My Feet

How to build support piers for small house extension?

I’m removing an old leanto extension and building a slightly larger enclosed verandah extension using Uni-pier piers. The proposed extension is 3600 by 2700. I will concrete the piers into the ground 450mm, just wondering what dimensions the hole should be?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build support piers for small house extension?

Good morning @Ext54 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Its a nice place to find a bunch of informnation and ideas.

I have not used Uni-pier piers before but have dug plenty of foundation holes for piers.

I have used a

Square Mouth Shovel as it was the perfect size to get down into the hole and have straight walls with it, I could drive the shovel down into the clay to crack off the next inch or so of soil. I havnt really used a post hole shovel (As in a narrow width shovel) before. The holes I have dug have been between 450mm-600mm. 

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, that’s about the size I was expecting. I haven’t dug any holes for investigation yet but I think your info is spot on.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Ext54 

Hey just remembered to warn you of stormwater pipes especially near the foundations of the wall. I have run into that issue before. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ext54 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about Uni-Piers.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend calling the BYDA (Before you dig Australia) just to be sure that there are no electrical or plumbing utilities in the area. Since you are building a larger structure with larger piers, I suggest consulting a structural engineer to get an opinion on how large and deep the foundation holes should be. 

The engineer will probably ask you if you have a sketch of your plan and the size of the timbers you'll be planning to use. Any other information you can provide will definitely be helpful. 

Here is a link to the Uni-Pier Brochure: Uni Pier Selection Guide

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ext54
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric 👍👍👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects