Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build outdoor steps?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to build outdoor steps?

Hello Everyone 

I would like to built a stairs / steps  for my new gate as it is lower that ground level .

Would like to get some advice , ideas and tips what could be easy to built and not expensive.

I was thinking may be building a stairs/ steps  with brick as I do not have any tools .

It is going to be  next the water tap . 

My new gate would be 950 mm , 

measurement of the stairs/steps  would be 

height is 500 mm , wide   around  1 M or little more and length would be 1300  just up to paving 

I am thinking to have platform for opening the gate and may be total 3 steps . 

Any idea or advise i would appreciate .

new gate areanew gate areanew gate areanew gate area

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build outdoor steps?

Hello @mmd22 

Has your gate already been installed or are you just planning to have located in that spot? If this is the only position available for your door you might want to consider moving the garden tap slightly to the left so that it is not in line with the platform and steps you're planning to build. Having the platform slightly out of alignment with the door poses a danger to people who are not aware that the steps are not in line with the door.

Using bricks to build the platform and the steps would be ideal as this material provides long-term use with very low maintenance. Just keep in mind that it will be necessary to dig a good foundation for the steps to prevent the bricks from sinking into the ground.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how to build it. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello @EricL 

Thank you so much again for help full idea and advice.

Gate has been installed yet( getting custom made)  but place has been decided already as Post already installed . Water tap is around 100 mm inside from the post ( sorry could not give photo for that area as it is covered for security and privacy ) and of course there will be around 1-20 ms gap between post and gate . Just for your your information gate will open on the left where the tap . I am sure steps can be align with the post . Do you think 100 mm is enough .

We also to have plane to put railing on both side of the steps .  

Thank you so much for the sketch. It is fantastic . 

Wound able be able to  tell me where should I start and what should i get ? Is there any video I could use ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22 

I suggest choosing the brick you want to use. Once you've decided on the brick size, you can then plan the structure of the steps and the size of the platform. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Advice needed to lay brick-raised flower bed by @Brunnie_Rich. The steps used to create the base for the brick flower bed can be used for your steps and platform. The insides of the brick structure can be filled with stone and gravel. I propose tamping it until it is level then you can lay a cement base inside so that you have a flat surface to lay the bricks.

Eric

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello @EricL 

I will have a look the discussion .

It is going to take some time for to arrange . 

I am thinking should I make it after the new gate installed which is 6-8 weeks away or should I do it now ?

thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mmd22 

If the posts have been installed and they will no longer be moved, then it would be ok to start planning the foundation of the steps. However, if it has not been installed yet, I suggest waiting until it is permanently fixed into place. In this manner, you can be sure that your steps are in alignment with the door.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects