Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a loft bed?

sayh
Finding My Feet

How to build a loft bed?

Hello Brains Trust

I've recently started doing some renos in our house and have learnt so much along the way. I am hoping to build a little loft play area within the playroom one day (after finishing other simpler projects) and I've tried looking everywhere else for my queries but seem to have hit a wall.

What type of timber should I be using for structures like this loft bed? Do I need structural/MGP pine or is DAR timber sufficient? Can timber shorts be used? What about timber battens – are they structural? 

For some reason, the only structural untreated MGP at Bunnings seem to be out of stock everywhere. Can anyone please direct me to somewhere I may be able to obtain suitable timber for my project? 

Your expertise is much appreciated. Thanks. 

IMG_7187.JPG

Inspiration/picture source: https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/playhouse-loft-bed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Newbie – help please!

Hi @sayh,

I replied to your first post, but I will copy my answer here so others coming across your topic might benefit.

Typically, it would be best to use a structural grade of timber like MGP10 for a project like this. However, since MGP10 is used predominantly in the construction industry, it's chemically treated to meet building codes, so you'll readily find H2-treated Pine. Structurally graded timber that is not treated would be hard to come by as its use makes up a very small percentage of the market. In most cases, DAR Pine would be suitable, and although it doesn't carry a structural rating (as it's typically not used for construction purposes), it has little to no knots, which makes it also suitable for this kind of project.

Timber shorts could be used, but they often include many knots and defects as they are not a structural grade of timber but are still used for construction purposes in non-load-bearing applications. They could be used if you can find clear lengths with minimal knots, but I prefer to go with the DAR Pine

If you'd like to use structurally rated timber that is not treated, then I'd suggest you speak with your local store's helpful Special Orders team. They can check with timber suppliers in your area to verify whether we can order timber for your project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: DIY Newbie – help please!

Thanks so much, Mitchell! That’s hugely helpful and has clarified so much. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects