Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a built-in desk and attach to wall?

robynsogn
Just Starting Out

How to build a built-in desk and attach to wall?

Hi there Workshoppers! I'm planning to make use of a space between existing Polytec shelving to add a desk. I'm hoping to use the 19mmx600mm Timberbuild laminated timber panel for the desktop, cut to 1600mm to fit perfectly. I'd rather not have a central support to allow freedom of movement while at the desk. As the desktop will stick out past the shelves, I'm planning to use some desk legs to support the front to corners as I've assumed attaching to the Polytec shelves wouldn't be strong enough? I'm not sure the best way to attach the back edge to the wall to ensure it's sturdy and won't sag across the 1600mm span. I've seen other Bunnings projects use a back rail or heavy-duty brackets- I'm wondering if there's a preferred option in my case as I'm concerned the span will mean a saggy or unstable desk!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Built in desk- question on options for attaching to wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @robynsogn. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a desk.

I'd suggest attaching timber batons to the rear wall along the whole length and along the sides attached to the shelving. These can be screwed into the timber studs in the wall and through the sides of the shelving units. You'll then have a well supported desk at the back and at the sides. 

I do have some concerns that 1600mm along the front could allow some bowing, even if the table has a minimal weight on it. To counteract this, you could install a bracket midway on the wall. A 380mm bracket is about as large as you'd get before they turn into stayed brackets, but it would be better than nothing. Something like this  Carinya 600 x 300 x 40mm Heavy Duty Twisted Stay Bracket would be ideal, but it could interfere with your legs. It might be worth a test fit. You'll need to split the rear timber baton to allow its installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects