Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a roller blind to a skylight  (including hold down capability)

ccyounger
Getting Established

How to attach a roller blind to a skylight  (including hold down capability)

Hi,

I have an old velux skylight, which I can access easily, and I need to attach some sort of blind to it.

(yes it needs a clean)

My preference is a cheap roller blind.

The window is on a slant, so a roller blind would need some sort of clips at the bottom, to hold the bottom of the blind against the window (and not have it simply drop vertically)

I'm not sure if this sure if this fixture exists, or if there is a better approach to take?

Thank you

IMG_20230110_140920.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach a roller blind to a skylight  (including hold down capability)

Hello @ccyounger

Thanks for sharing your question about attaching a roller blind to your skylight. Your Velux Skylight might still be compatible with the roller blind sets that Velux produces. Somewhere along the timber frame is a plate or tag that has the model number of your Skylight. If you can provide that model number, I'll be able to ask Velux if they have a compatible roller blind. Can you also please provide the dimensions of the Skylight? 

In regards to installing a regular roller blind, I'm afraid there is no ready-made hook to hold the blind in a diagonal position. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Options for installing a skylight blind? by @KC2.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ccyounger
Getting Established

Re: How to attach a roller blind to a skylight  (including hold down capability)

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Below is a photo of the Velux plate, it's a bit hard to read and says: 

GGL-1    1025 0 04 Ø

I think the window is about 25 years old.

It would be a great help if you could find out if Velux have a corresponding newer frame code I can use.

Thanks again

IMG_20230111_070406.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ccyounger

Thanks for finding that tag so quickly. The good news is that Velux has compatible blinds for your skylight. The two models are the DKLM04 - Blockout Blind and the FHCM04 - Honeycombed Blind. If you need a control stick the model number is ZXT 200.

Depending on your budget you can get a quote for a motorized version and the control switch for the wall. Please keep in mind that you will need a licensed electrician to install the unit.

I suggest going to your nearest store and asking a helpful team member at the special orders desk for a quote on the blind. Please make sure to provide the model number of your skylight, the model number of the type of blind that you want and the number of the control stick if you need it. As a safety measure please include the measurement of your skylight. If you are interested in the motorized version make sure to ask the team member to make a motorized quote as well.

Eric

ccyounger
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for this - great to know there are Velux options.

One last question - would I be right in thinking that the 'M04' part of the model number is the part that refers to the frame-size?

With the 'FHC' part identifying Blockout and the 'DHC' identifying honeycomb?

Thanks

Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ccyounger

I'm not really sure about the definition of the codes as the technical person I was speaking to did not explain their meaning. The M04 could be referring to model number 4. But what I do know is that these codes are specifically meant for your Velux blind GGL-1.

Here is a link to the Velux Blinds: Velux Blind Models

Eric

ccyounger
Getting Established

thank you Eric, this has been a really helpful experience.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects