Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a bathroom to rumpus?

PB30
Just Starting Out

How to add a bathroom to rumpus?

Dear team,

Can you please let me know the procedure to start with, to add a separate bath/ toilet to an existing Rumpus which is fully insulated and the measurements are 8.2m x 3.8m. How do we start with, how to get approval from the council and plan SA? This a detached Rumpus, no connectivity to the main building. It is classified as a domestic garage (10A) in my form 1. 

Other possibilities converting as a granny flat to.

If would be much appreciated if you could share your opinion and thoughts. 

Thanks 

PB

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add a bathroom to rumpus?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PB30. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing how you can transform your home (with a little bit of help from our wonderful members).

Our guide How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W might be a good place for you to start.

Let me also tag some experienced renovators such as @redbournreno@Renowayoflife@DIYgals and @homeinmelbourne for their thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a bathroom to rumpus?

Hello @PB30 

Thanks for sharing your question about adding a bathroom to your rumpus room.

Class 10a buildings, like private garages or sheds, are considered non-habitable in the National Construction Code (NCC). Using them for residential purposes without local government approval is not allowed (Building Act 1975, Section 119).

If property owners want to convert a Class 10a building into a residence by adding habitable rooms like a kitchen, bedroom, living room, or dining room, they must obtain all necessary approvals beforehand.

Furthermore, before occupying the building for residential purposes, it must meet the minimum standards of a Class 1a dwelling, as mandated by the NCC.

There are a number of documents you'll need to prepare in order to gain approval. However, in order to expedite the process, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder who has done this type of upgrade before. They will be familiar with the general paperwork necessary which includes the QBCC Home Warranty Insurance or equivalent, architectural plans and structural design plans.

I recommend contacting your local council and asking them if they have a document list that refers to Converting a Class 10a garage to a dwelling. This will give you a general idea of what is involved with this conversion.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects