Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to DIY a fresh festive Garland this Christmas

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

How to DIY a fresh festive Garland this Christmas

The Incredible Guide to Crafting a Beautiful DIY Fresh Christmas Garland

Tired of the same old same old when it comes to Christmas decorations? Want to bring a little extra flair to your holiday decor this year? 

DIYing your own garland is a great way to spruce up your space this season! With a few simple supplies and a little time, you can easily create a gorgeous, fresh foliage christmas garland that will have your friends asking where you bought it. In this article, we'll walk you through each step of the process, from selecting the right foliage and creating the garland to a few extra tips for making sure your decoration stays looking fresh and festive all season long. Whether you're new to the DIY game or looking to add a seasonal twist to your existing decorations, you'll be surprised at how easy it is to make your own beautiful garland. So gather your supplies, buckle up, and get ready for some fun Christmas crafting!

There are a lot of choices when it comes to fresh foliage. You want to ensure you’re selecting foliage that will dry nicely. My favourites are pine, Eucalyptus, gypsophilia (baby’s breath) and Jarrah, they’re all native to Australia, readily available, and the pine and Eucalyptus smell amazing. I use these in my wreath-making workshops as well as my own home. 

Conclusion: This post has shown you how to create a beautiful DIY fresh Christmas garland for your home this holiday season. The materials are simple and cheap, and the process of making the garland is easy and fun. 

Materials

• Secateurs
  • Green PVC Tie Wire
  • Seasonal Foliage
    • I have chosen Pine and eucalyptus gum
  • Floristry Wire

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Step-By-Step Preparation: How to Make Your Garland

I love to start with the pine as my base leaf and build it from there. To secure the pine I headed to Bunnings and picked up some green PVC Tie Wire. You can add your greenery to the tie wire with small cable ties or floristry wire.

Before I start to make the garland I cut down the branches so they’re a workable size.

I chose to wrap the tie wire around the pine branches in the first instance. I layered the pine leaves over each other to create a thick base and added a new piece approximately ⅔ along the piece before.

I built the base of the garland on the floor. When the time came to check the length and to thicken it up I added it to the mirror and continued to build it in place.

TIP: When adding to your garland group leaves and wire them together and wire the grouped leaf onto the garland, this will help to secure the leaves in place and help you create the look you want.

IMG_7789_jpg 2.JPG

IMG_7813 3.JPGIMG_7836_jpg.JPG

Step 2

Decorating Your Garland: How to Make It Shine

Once you’re happy with the overall look consider adding some decorate items to bring it to life. Depending on the look you want to achieve you may consider baubles, ribbons or other decor. I added bells and some bird ornaments to mine to add a little fun. 

And don’t forget the lights. Once I had finished the garland I added wired fairy lights and tucked the battery back behind some foliage.

IMG_7851_jpg.JPGIMG_7863_jpg.JPG

Step 3

Spreading Holiday Cheer: Tips for Showing Off Your Garland

A garland is versatile, you can add it to an entryway, stair bannister, front porch, Dining table or in my case a mirror. You’ve worked hard to create something you love so make sure to place it somewhere you can show it off.

Cover photo.jpg

Step 4

Keeping Your Garland Fresh: How to Preserve It 

Once the foliage is out of water it will dry faster. Although you can’t stop this process there are a few things you can do to slow down drying time. 

1. Soak your leaves the overnight. I usually trim my leaves then leave them in a bucket of water 
  2. Spray water on your fresh garland each day.
  3. You can add floristry foam, and water the foam regularly.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to DIY a fresh festive Garland this Christmas

Hello @Renowayoflife 

Thank you very much for sharing such a clever way to attach fresh garland to your holiday decorations. I'm already thinking of putting this in one of our round mirrors. This is definitely going into my bookmarks.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to DIY a fresh festive Garland this Christmas

thanks @EricL I'd love to see it if you end up adding it to your mirror. It's always fun to get new ideas

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects