Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill these holes in a tile floor?

lily4
Just Starting Out

How do I fill these holes in a tile floor?

The previous owners of the house had installed a wardrobe in this room and had made holes in the tile floor to place wooden supporting beams. I’ve taken out the wardrobe but am struggling with the best way to fill the remaining holes in the tiles. A friend suggested concrete (as there is concrete under the tiles), otherwise we do have spare tiles in the shed but that seems like a difficult thing to place in such a small hole. 

IMG_5295.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fill these holes in a tile floor?

Hi @lily4,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Assuming that the tiles you have in storage are the same size and colour as the existing ones, I would suggest removing the tiles that have been cut with a Craftright 2 Piece Cold Chisel Set and hammer and replacing them with new ones then regrouting around them. This will give you the cleanest finish possible in your scenario. If this option is a possibility, I suggest having a look at How To Lay Floor Tiles for some guidance on the process and materials required. 

If this is not a possibility, I would suggest hiring one of these 600mm Hand Tile Cutter - 4hr from your local Bunnings, measuring the hole and doing your best to cut the tile to a size with an even gap around it for grout. You should clean the area thoroughly, removing any loose material that will affect adhesion and apply Dunlop 310ml Tile-All Plus Premixed Tile Adhesive to stick the tile down. to apply Dunlop 1.5kg Flexible Coloured Grout of a suitable colour to match the existing. 

If neither of these options suit, you could simply fill the area with Rapidset Repair Mortar, however it will not match the surrounding area particularly well.

Please also remember to wear all relevant personal protective equipment including gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, mask, enclosed shoes, long pants and long-sleeved shirts.

Let me know if you need any further advice or have any questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects