Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does mouse bait attract mice that otherwise wouldnt enter the house?

firsthome2022
Growing in Experience

Does mouse bait attract mice that otherwise wouldnt enter the house?

I have a mice in the garage that I need to get rid off. I'd like to know though if I put a trap with bait or just bait out, does the bait just attract other mice that otherwise wouldn't enter? 

I think they are coming in through gaps at either end of the roller door. I plug the gaps with steel wool but is there any thing more permanent I could do?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does mice bait attract mice that otherwise wouldnt enter the house?

Hello @firsthome2022 

I'm sorry to hear of your mice problem. I have a similar problem in my garage except its blue tounge lizards and they have decided that the warm garage is perfect for their nest.

There is the possibility that the bait will attract mice from outside and not just the mice that is currently in your garage. In order to prevent this, I suggest trying to fix the bottom seal of your garage. Has it worn out or are the edges totally damaged? 

If they are, it might be worth considering changing the rubber seal under the door to prevent the mice from entering. At this point, I still recommend putting the bait inside the garage, but preferable near where you think the mice is currently nesting. The smell of the bait should be contained in the garage for a while. 

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to get rid of rats and mice?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects