Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you plug a 10 Amp device into a 15 Amp socket?

aussiblue
Having an Impact

Can you plug a 10 Amp device into a 15 Amp socket?

Do ready made adapter allowing you to plug a 10amp cord into a 15amp socket exist? I do know in most cases a 10amp plug will work fine in a 15 amp socket but my double 15amp outlet is safety shuttered and the smaller earth pin on a 10 amp plug does not always open the shutter on the 15amp earth socket pin without some wobbling it about and therefore I suspect/worry that when I do, the earth contact is probably not as good as it could or should be. I don't want to swap the leads on the 10amp devices to a 15amp ones as that would prevent their normal use on a 10 amp outlet.  I could I guess make an adapter myself by attaching a 15amp plug to a 10amp extension lead or just making a very short lead with a 10amp socket at one end and a 15 amp plug at the other end but I would have thought there might be more elegant ready made solution around.

Perhaps it's something to do with the issue discussed here https://trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5800 i.e.

" .... suggests that newer 15 amp outlets (especially commercial ones) have a restrictor built in that stops 10 amp plugs being put into them direct, even though they would otherwise fit. This is to stop people using dodgy cords that they had made that are 15 amp female (to connect to van or boat) and 10 amp plug to plug in at home dodgy style. It appears that many were using these same dodgy cables at a proper 15 amp outlet so everything was 15 amp except for the plug - thereby potential for issues.

It appears that some new 15 amp outlets require the large earth pin of a 15 amp plug to release a cover that otherwise restricts the top diagonal slots."

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Can you plug a 10 Amp device into a 15 Amp socket?

Hey @MikeTNZ no over the ditch here we are flat pins with larger earth pin, that's why you can fit a 10a into a 15a and that's why ppl used to file down the earth pin of a 15a to fit into a 10a

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Can you plug a 10 Amp cord into a 15 Amp socket?

Ok doing a search on why shuttered revealed the following.

Shuttered power points in Australia are designed with safety in mind, particularly to protect children from electrical hazards. These shutters prevent direct access to the active components of the socket, making it harder for objects, such as fingers or metal tools, to be inserted into the plug holes. When a plug is inserted correctly, the shutters are designed to open and allow the plug to make contact with the electrical contacts safely.

The introduction of shuttered power points aligns with Australian standards for electrical safety (AS/NZS 3112), which aim to reduce accidents and injuries related to electrical outlets. This is part of a broader commitment to safety in electrical installations, ensuring that homes, workplaces, and public spaces are safer for everyone, especially for children who might not be aware of the dangers associated with electricity.

Which makes perfect sense as that's all we can use within the education sector that we do work in.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects