Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to fix tile grout?

raerific
Finding My Feet

Best way to fix tile grout?

8505928C-5083-4E77-B31A-FFD434D3AB14.jpeg

just moved into this rental and the grout is horrendous. Seems like someone painted the grout lines white and paint has chipped overtime. What is the best value for money way to fix this? Remove the paint? Regrout? Or simply repaint over grout? Black grout underneath seems solid. You advise appreciate it

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to fix tile grout?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @raerific. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tile grout.

It appears that you're correct that the grout has been painted, and the paint is now deteriorated. Can you please confirm whether you are a renter or if you have purchased the home?

If you are renting, the first point of call is to speak with the landlord about what options they might be open to. 

The tile paint manufacturers advise you to remove the deteriorated existing paint to re-paint. If you are happy with the look of the dark grout, you could attempt to remove the painted sections. However, it will likely be quite tedious. It might be worth trying some paint stripper, or lightly abraiding with a grout saw might remove it. Do a test section with the paint stripper in an inconspicuous location to ensure it doesn't stain the tiles or smear the paint. Remember your PPE when using the stripper, including acid-resistant gloves, safety goggles, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear. It's also a good idea to ventilate the area well by opening windows and doors.

As a temporary solution to make the area look better and since it would be a minimal cost, you might like to just paint straight over the deteriorated paint with grout paint. Unlike tile paints, it has a limited lifespan but would make the area appear much neater.

Another option would be to consider laying Hybrid Vinyl flooring over the area. As long as the tiles are well adhered, no preparation is necessary, and you can lay the floorboards straight over the top. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very helpful. We renting, Landlord did a professional clean prior us moving in and that’s as far as it goes. Not sure I can live with this and and willing to pay to fix. I’m happy with the original black grout as seen in one room photo. Leaning more towards the paint stripper option (permanent) or the grout pen (temporary). Will try stripper first if it works easily.

Regarding the bathroom area with photo of small tiles. It looks more like bad grouting or grout pen added on top of old grout. Can I add vinyl to bathroom areas or not? Also got residue on the tiles. Not sure the most economical solution. Your advise appreciate it. 

Thanks again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It does look like a combination of bad grouting with grout paint over it @raerific.

You can use vinyl flooring over tiles in a bathroom area. Here's a helpful guide: How to lay vinyl plank flooring.

Budget-wise, it would be best to re-paint as many areas as possible with grout paint. You can then look at a solution like Hybrid flooring over areas that are too far gone.

Mitchell

Thanks so much. Will go with grout paint for the living areas. What brand u recommend please. Do I need to do any prep work prior grout paint? 

For the bathrooms, will look into bathroom vinyl flooring option. What brand vinyl you prefer please. Thanks. 

Also thinking of using black grout paint if its a color option. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Here's our Hybrid Vinyl flooring @raerific, which would be my preference as they are of a premium quality.

Our grout paint comes in three colours: white, grey, and black. Considering the owner has attempted to cover the black grout with white, it would be unwise to recolour the grout to black again without first requesting permission.

Mitchell

Thanks alot. 

Yes, I will be seeking permission on all prior upgrade at my own costs as the Landlord can’t fix. 

Also it could be previous tenant that painted the grout white instead of Landlord considering they didn’t paint the bedroom grout. I will attempt paint stripper first before considering grout paint at Landlord color choice. 

Thanks alot for solving my dilemma.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects