Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would a Millard 1971 caravan have asbestos?

Rochel19
Just Starting Out

Would a Millard 1971 caravan have asbestos?

Hello All,

I'm hoping to purchase a Millard Circa 1971 Caravan.

Does anyone have any information or advice if it may contain asbestos.

I saw a similar conversation on this forum in this regard so I joined.

Regards Rochel 

20240116_102210.jpg

20240116_100806.jpg

20240116_100722.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Asbestos in a Millard circa 1971 caravan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rochel19. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about asbestos in caravans.

Let me mention our resident caravan renovation expert @twocutekelpies to see if they have any thoughts.

Caravans incorporated asbestos in their construction due to the prevailing building practices of that time, mirroring the standard features found in houses, such as power, plumbing, internal frames, linings, insulation, and windows. Consequently, similar to houses from the same era, various components within older caravans may contain asbestos.

Flooring Materials: The original floor tiles, as well as linoleum or vinyl flooring, could potentially contain asbestos, which was added for increased durability.

Sealants: Asbestos was commonly integrated into the mastic used around windows, following the prevalent practice for sealants and putties during that period.

Wall Cavity Insulation: The insulation within the wall cavity might also contain asbestos.

Electrical Components: Asbestos could be present in electrical components, such as flash guards in fuses.

Heat Insulation: Behind the metal cover of a heat shield, typically found at the back of a stove top or gas burner stove, there might be a layer of "fibro-type" material containing asbestos.

Fridge Insulation: In older caravans with antique refrigerators, the insulation within the fridge body might contain asbestos.

Brake Linings (Shoes): Original brake linings are highly likely to contain asbestos.

Mattresses: Some mattresses were manufactured using a combination of horsehair and asbestos to render them inflammable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hi Rochel19.

Based on the chassis number, the manufacture year for this Millard is 1976. I am aware of a few owners having materials tested for asbestos in other Millards of the same era and can confirm the presence of chrysotile asbestos in the vinyl floor tiles and in the old butyl mastic sealant around j-rails and windows based on a report posted last year on a 1977 Millard in the Millard & York Owners group on FB. 

Asbestos is not an issue if left undisturbed, however, if the original sealant has not been replaced, chances are high it has failed and will need to be cleaned off and resealed. While many choose to DIY this (carefully and using appropriate PPE), a caravan repairer can be employed to remove j-rails (trims) and windows to reseal. 

Kind regards

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Thanks for your assistance, @twocutekelpies. Your wealth of knowledge is incredible. It's quite obvious why you are also so well-known and respected in other caravan communities. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Cheers Mitchell 😊 and thanks for the tag 

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects