Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When can I paint treated Pine?

JazzyJ
Just Starting Out

When can I paint treated Pine?

Hi, 

I’ve just discovered this forum! 

I’m about to build a frame for my outdoor kitchen that won’t be under cover. So it will need some protection from the elements. 

I’ve bought some Pine structural treated H3 (with the green ends) from Bunnings. 

My question is that is this wood considered wet or dry? I’m going to paint the frame with Cabots Deck & Exterior Paint but it says that I need to wait 4-6 weeks before I can paint on new wood. Is this considered new wood? Or has it dried since it’s been in the timber yard? 
Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: When can I paint treated pine?

Hello @JazzyJ

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting treated pine.

Technically structural pine H3 is wet when delivered fresh to the store. It does dry out a bit depending on the weather and its location in the racking system. It is recommended that you let the timber season a bit before you put anything on it. Six weeks is about the minimum amount of time I would let it season before painting it. However, you can tell by looking at the surface of the timber if it is still weeping, patches of wet residue are still coming out of the surface of the timber. 

You can skip the waiting time by using Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Tannin And Oil Remover. This will effectively prepare the surface of the timber for coating.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to clean a deck

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects