Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cover gap between wall and pergola

terjin
Just Starting Out

Cover gap between wall and pergola

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how we can cover this tiny gap between our pergola and wall. Our neighbor has installed a glass screen on the other side and when it rains, all the rain bounces off that glass panel and runs down our wall and into our BBQ.

Any ideas on how I could best cover this gap? Appreciate all the ideas and help :smile:

Pergola-1.jpegPergola-2.jpeg
Pergola-3.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cover gap between wall and pergola

Hello @terjin

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about covering a gap in your wall.

I suggest using Suntuf Sunlite 8mm x 610mm x 2.4m Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Roofing in coordination with STAHL Masonry Kit 6mm Drill With 35mm Red Wall Plugs. I also suggest using Zenith M6 Hot Dipped Galvanised Washer for each screw.

The polycarbonate roofing can be cut down to size so that it covers the gap in your wall. The polycarbonate panel will need to be cut a little bit bigger so that you can screw the panel to your masonry wall. You'll need to seal the joint between your wall and the polycarbonate from the outside. I suggest using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @terjin , I like EricL's idea of using polycarbonate sheeting, but I would be wanting to create a small frame within the opening and installing the sheeting in that gap. Depending on how much wind pressure is experienced in that spot, you could make a frame from either rt angle plastic or aluminium. You would only be able to anchor the sides firmly, judging by the photo (room to get a drill in), but sealant should hold the frame on the longer top and bottom runs given that there's no real load to carry.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @terjin,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Great to see you receive some fantastic advice for your problem. Let us know what you think and whether we can assist further.

We look forward to seeing how you can tackle this problem and also reading about your other projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @terjin I agree with @EricL  solution, you Could ask the neighbor if it is ok to install a clear panel or colourbond panel on an angle as a type of flashing from the neighbors roof to your roof.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects