Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tool suits concrete cutting close to wall?

Alex3
Getting Established

What tool suits concrete cutting close to wall?

7284E154-6CEC-4F41-89E8-29A7581595A9.jpeg

I am seeking advice on the type of tool that suits cutting a small rectangle of concrete out of the driveway close to the wall. I would like to make a repair to my drain down pipe joiner which is concreted in. I’ve thought of a mini jackhammer (if exist), an angle grinder (which i don’t have yet) and masonry drill. Any suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What tool suit concrete cutting close to wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alex3. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting concrete.

You'd want to try and replace the fitting without cutting the concrete if it's at all possible. You'd start by cutting the fitting up with aviation snips and try pulling the pieces out of the concrete with pliers. If you can remove it all, hopefully, you'll be able to slip a new Holman 100 x 80 x 90mm PVC Stormwater Downpipe Adaptor down into the concrete without disturbing it.

In answer to your question, you could try an angle grinder, but you'll find it difficult to get close to the wall. You might find it easiest to drill a series of holes around the perimeter of the pipe and chip it out with a cold chisel and mini sledgehammer.

Given the chance of damaging the subsurface pipe and that this could be considered plumbing work requiring a licensed professional, I'd recommend you get a couple of quotes on its repair. A drainage expert would likely have a technique they often use to resolve this issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RyanGaux
Finding My Feet

Re: What tool suits concrete cutting close to wall?

Cut it flush with the concrete using a recip saw and glue in a 90mm slab repair coupling and downpipe adaptor

you will need to adjust the length of the downpipe but should have enough slack to slide it up

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Alex3 

Before Id start cutting the concrete Id be trying to pull out the old one and attach either a new piece or an adaptor of some kind. 

Even to hacksawing with the blade only to remove the old one if possible (Cutting verticaly then seeing if you can peel it off, depends on the glue that has been used/not used). Cutting the concrete would be my last option.

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing some advice @RyanGaux. I'm sure @Alex3 appreciates your input.

It sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience so we look forward to seeing many more of your posts soon. Feel free to post whenever you have a new project to share or anything to add to a discussion. Our clever and creative members share helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day so you will fit right in.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alex3
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, that’s helpful I’ll try to remove / replace without the concrete cutting option first. Good suggestions on tools and seeking quotes

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects