Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What span for small low-level deck?

jason_noob
Just Starting Out

What span for small low-level deck?

I'm planning a 3mx3m deck in my garden. Based on my site I am thinking of using a bearer and joist design versus a single layer frame design - also because I can't find any span information for the single layer designs. What span tables am I to use or consult if I plan to use 90x45 MGP10 H3 structural pine? I am based in Victoria. Not sure if there are different span tables state by state. 

jason_noob
Just Starting Out

Re: small low level deck spans

I have found this online and started to work from these tables. Am I making a big mistake :smile:

https://hia.com.au/products/as-168422021-residential-timberframed-construction-part-2-noncyclonic-ar...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: small low level deck spans

Hello @jason_noob

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about low-level decks.

There are many things to consider when building a low-level deck. I suggest having a look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will give you a very good idea of what you need to take into consideration when building a low-level deck.

I encourage you to have a look at this project - Low-profile deck with screening and steps by @MGusto. They gave a very good description of the position of the footing for their decking frame, it could be applicable to your assembly. Can you please tell us how high will the decking be? This will give our members a chance to assess your plan. We can then make recommendations on possible ways to proceed.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds

I also recommend looking at the Bunnings seven-part series on how to build a low-level deck.

I see nothing wrong with using the Australian Standards as a reference when building your deck. But I recommend looking at the suggested links I've put in to give you a better idea of how to plan your decking frame.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects